From Weight Weenie to Rat Rods

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that my whole problem is that I was deprived as a child. My mom wouldn't buy me a bike, other than one in pre-school that was destroyed before kindergarten. I saved all of my money and bought a Schwinn Sprint when I was 13. I rode that bike everywhere and I polished the snot out of it. In college, I got into mountain biking and started working at a bike store right after I graduated. It was the first and only time in my entire life that I have made minimum wage, but I did it for the bro deal on parts and bikes. It also helped me learn how to build bikes and wheels. I spent a few years racing mountain, road and cyclocross until I got a real job and I didn't have time to ride anymore. Recently, I saw a couple of bikes my friend built, I found this web site and now I'm hooked again. My basement is filling up with bikes again and my wife isn't crazy about that.

My brother bought this bike from wally world so that he could use the parts to restore a JCHiggins bike for his neighbor. He gave me the frame, I bought a few parts and did this build. It may not be a true rat rod, but I like it.

100_2420.jpg

The other week, I took this girls bike and cut the front off. I repositioned the down tube and added the skateboard wheels. It's similar to a skate bike that was given to me when I was younger.

100_2434.jpg

Anyways, looking forward to being a member of this site.

Welcome aboard.
Sweet and weird rides (in that order). :D

aka_locojoe said:
Welcome. How well does that skate bike thing ride? I've seen people try and ride the smaller one with out much luck.
old school 64 said:
Welcome to the fun !! The beach cruiser looks fantastic..but i gotta know .. how do you ride the other one ?? :?:

This one is rideable, I took videos of me riding it this week. I think that I may have messed up the angle at which the skateboard trucks are mounted (too much positive caster) so it doesn't turn as well as the smaller ones I had in the past. There are a couple of pictures of the smaller one on this website:

http://skateandannoy.com/2008/04/bikeboard/

My neighbor pulled this bike out of the trash because he wanted the front wheel. I took the fork and tried to bend it like Kota does, but I failed. I was going to toss the frame in the recycle bin, but the thought came to me to build a skate bike out of it. I used the old down tube to mount the skate board trucks, and I mounted it so that the waterbottle bosses were positioned upwards. Now I have a waterbottle mounted on it as a joke, but I do have a video of me grabbing the bottle while riding. I'd like to paint it, hook up the rear brake and possibly mount the gear shifters back on it. It's been fun to build, but I have no serious plans for it. I'll probably pull parts back off of it as needed.

Your skate bike Is COOL!...Looks like a unicycle with training wheels. Don't feel bad about the forks. I "occasionally" ruin some too. :lol:

Latest posts

Back