Fuji Sundance Sparkler Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, and I really like the vibe here so I'm going out on a limb and posting my restoration project that I've undertaken. I know it's not the usual kinda projects that are seen around here, the bike being a Japanese road bike and all, but a few tips and pointers would be great if you see any flaws in my methods.

So I'm off to college soon (wonderful CSU Sacramento :D) and I've come to the conclusion that I won't be using my car much (thank you speeding ticket) and skateing everywhere would eventually get only one of my two legs stronger so I asked my parents if I could commandeer a bicycle and bring it with me to college. From a small choice of bikes, I chose my Dad's old racer-ish bike since he doesn't use it all too often.

It's quite old with a little bit of corrosion here and there, but in my eye's, it's nothing a little WD40 and a brillo pad won't fix. Here's some pics in it's current state.

wj7tr5.jpg

2m2g7j7.jpg

izroud.jpg

10si1i0.jpg

10r71tw.jpg

30jpaom.jpg

2ds0a6t.jpg

3532jgp.jpg

55rm0x.jpg

1zf795z.jpg

33niyiu.jpg

I plan to take everything apart, derust what needs to be derusted, replace whatever parts that need to be replaced, and finally paint it over in something that doesn't stand out. Maybe a dust black or grey and put a single stripe of fluorescent paint or tape on the frame so that I'm visible at night.

Day 1 of restoration

So I bought all the recommended parts the guy who runs the local bike shop yesterday and I got started with cleaning, derusting, and polishing today.

This is what the bike looked like 1/2 way through day one.
2yuetc5.jpg

This is the work bench.
2zgvq0w.jpg

These are a quick release parts for the front wheel that I sanded down, removed as much rust as possible, and didn't like how the pitting ruined the finish so I started primering them with gray automotive spray can primer and finished them off with two coats of flat black Rustoleum spray can paint. No clear enamel on hand so I said screw it and threw them on the front wheel.
tahidi.jpg

Much more headway has been done since then; got the handlebars off, removed the rust, polished them up, removed the brake handles and polished those up too, took the rack off and cleaned it up a tiny bit (still debating on whether or not to paint it), got the first pass of polishing done on the first wheel, repacked the front wheel bearings with Slick Honey, cleaned up the seat post as best I could, cleaned up the seat hardware and replaced the seat.

To Do List:
2nd pass of polishing for the front wheel
Clean the gears on the rear wheel
1st pass of polishing for the rear wheel
2nd pass of polishing for the rear wheel
2nd pass of polishing for the handle bars
Fix bent brake handle
Remove the front fork and check bearings, repack if needed
Remove brake and shifter line housing, measure and label each peice
Remove brake and shifter line
Clean deraileur
Disassemble brakes
Polish brake calipers
Polish frame and see if I like the original finish or if I should repaint it

well if i were you a wouldnt paint over the pink because if possible i like to keep the original look, especially if its a funky color like neon green, pink purple ect. but its your project so i say do what you have to do. if you go with repainting do not try to remover the cranks with a hammer, it doesnt work and you will ruin the arms, go to your local shop and they will remove them for you.
i cant see the whole length of the cables but if there is splitting only at the tips you could cut just past the splitting and salvage some if not all of the cables and save some $$ and i think new tires are a must,
looks like a fun restoration, have fun!

Cables split right at the center point on the bike, they were exposed and badly corroded. :( I've already gotten new tires, some kind of tires from Specialized, they were the only ones the shop had in the size so I'm not worried. :)

I'll probably get the cranks taken off if I decide to paint it/don't like how they feel, other than that, I'm just going to make it look nice. :D

The rear gears have a slight grinding feel when I spin them freely, any tips on how to take it apart and clean them?

im going to assume that the wheel has the screw on type cog and so in that case i would just wd-40 it, if it is a serious problem new cogs are about 20 dollars, if it has the cassette type cogs just take it apart and play with it, i love playing with cassette hubs.

Better have at least 3 locks. They'll steal you blind in Sacto.

Back