Ganna rod brake bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I swore of any more bikes but when I found this Ganna rod brake bike on Craig's List for $40 I had to go look at it. I bought it. It's a neat bike but I can't find out any info on it. It had mismatched worn out reflector pedals so I replaced those. It's got to be older than the 80s as it has glass reflectors? It has 700C rims. I wonder if a military person brought it back when they were sent back to the States?
IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

The back brake has a lock. I can't believe the key is still there.
IMG_0660.JPG

Chain tensioners.
IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

Rear brake.
IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

Leather seat a little crudely made.
IMG_0666.JPG

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...yone-know-about-ganna-italian-road-bikes.html
http://www.perthvintagecycles.com/2013/10/ganna-bicycles.html
"
Ganna Bicycles

The history behind many Italian and French cycling brands is very interesting - and the GANNA brand is no exception.
Luigi GANNA was born in Induno Olana, Italy, on December 1, 1883. He died at the age of 73 years on October 2, 1957.
GANNA was an Italian professional road racing cyclist and the legendary highlight of his cycling career was his overall win in the first Giro d'italia that was held in 1909. The 1909 Giro was a gruelling cycle race of 2448 kilometres where only 49 of the 127 competitors managed to complete the course.
In his younger days GANNA worked as a brick layer many miles from where he lived and so he rode his bicycle to and from work each day. The roads were rough and this daily exercise enabled him to become a very strong and talented rider.
His enjoyment of cycling led him to entering local cycling competitions where he regularly won. After convincing wins he realized that the skills he had gained on his daily rides to work were worthy of him becoming a professional cyclist.

Luigi GANNA 1883 - 1957

GANNA competing in the 1909 Giro d'italia

In 1912 GANNA successfully commenced building and marketing his own line of bicycles, and continued to manufacture fine bicycles until his death in 1957. The GANNA name was carried on after his death until in 1985 the company was bought out by Giubilato.
Fortunately many bicycle collectors appreciated his work and added his finely crafted steel framed machines to their collections.
Here are some images of one of his wonderful creations that was built just before his death. It is the Bonvicini Torino Mezza Corsa bicycle from the 1950's that carries an original Campagnolo gruppo from the era."
$(KGrHqN,!lEFJGHPKPJ9BSUzqj1nfw--60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqN,!n0FJLdkIS3CBSUzqU5--Q--60_57.JPG

I looked at some 60's Ganna bikes of the same style and I think yours is probably 50's, maybe earlier. The rims are lighter on those and the name is painted on the chain guard, not a name plate like yours. Is anything readable on the plate? Your brakes are heavier and look older than the 60's bikes, and the locking rear brake was probably part of the deluxe type model, which yours probably is.

I think you got a great deal!

This is the closest I found to your bike, but the year wasn't noted.
6905932153_6dfe068c83_b.jpg

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/coventryeagle/sets/72157629392291245/

Last edited:
I looked at some 60's Ganna bikes of the same style and I think yours is probably 50's, maybe earlier. The rims are lighter on those and the name is painted on the chain guard, not a name plate like yours. Is anything readable on the plate? Your brakes are heavier and look older than the 60's bikes, and the locking rear brake was probably part of the deluxe type model, which yours probably is.

This really looks like it. It must be pretty new as it has reflector pedals. One of my original pedals was white and had reflectors and appears to be the same as in the above picture. The other pedal was black and had rubber that was worn to the through bolt so I thought that was the original one, but apparently not. The white pedal had a dust cap and could be rebuilt, like old quality road pedals.

Nothing readable on the plate, it's rusty.

Latest posts

Back