Gas Money

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tamsbpj3i4zqf9jw2lxa_1610339907039.002.jpg

Another unique CCM frame a gt came in 28,26,24,20 inch wheels

That frame is the bees knees. The only skinny build on my horizon beyond the F1 entry in this class is to build up a murdered-out stealth fixed and if they made those frames in my size, I'd have to visit Canada to pick one up.
I pick one up this week called a Nighthawk made by CCM

Doing rust removal and further cleaning todayView attachment 213927
Going try to wash the rust away as gently as possible. Basically just scrubbing the frame with a cloth with CLR on it, avoiding the paint as much as possible View attachment 213926
Matti!!!!!! My man!!!!! Wash off the rust???!!!

This be a rat rod web site, homie!!!! ……. Wash off the rust….. :20:

Some what, my father worked for NP witch later become Burlington Northern, and the last 7 years of working at Paper mill ( Potlatch ) I worked in yard crew. They had there own switch engine , for witch I had to ride now and then, and work on cleaning switches. ...........Curt

I have drop bars. They are off on eighties junk bike, were pulled from the scrap heap. Narrow, low, square, exactly what I dislike
IMG_20221015_112435855.jpg
IMG_20221015_112426845.jpg

So I spent a minute with the vice doing some tweaking.
IMG_20221022_170907339.jpg

Lessened the drop by rotating them upwards, and added some "flare" by tweaking them outwards. This wasn't the finished product, just snapped a pic to check symmetry. Ran out of daylight

Last edited:
Very contemporary bar shape you've achieved there, M. Liking it!

I have drop bars. They are off on eighties junk bike, were pulled from the scrap head. Narrow, low, square, exactly what I dislike
So I spent a minute with the vice doing some tweaking.
Lessened the drop by rotating them upwards, and added some "flare" by tweaking them outwards. This wasn't the finished product, just something to check symmetry. Ran out of daylight
Did you fill them with sand before bending them? It tends to make the bends cleaner and easier to do, especialy when evening them out. I don't have a pic of the bars I did, but flared some 38cm 60's Schwinn drops in the same manner.

Did you fill them with sand before bending them? It tends to make the bends cleaner and easier to do, especialy when evening them out
I did not. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing, had a few minutes to spare and just dove in. I probably should have, I might have gotten some flatter spots, but I'm not too concerned. My terrible wrap job will more than conceal any imperfections

I have drop bars. They are off on eighties junk bike, were pulled from the scrap heap. Narrow, low, square, exactly what I dislike View attachment 214182View attachment 214183
So I spent a minute with the vice doing some tweaking. View attachment 214179
Lessened the drop by rotating them upwards, and added some "flare" by tweaking them outwards. This wasn't the finished product, just something to check symmetry. Ran out of daylight
Nice flair work Matti. I'm digging the bars

Did you fill them with sand before bending them? It tends to make the bends cleaner and easier to do, especialy when evening them out. I don't have a pic of the bars I did, but flared some 38cm 60's Schwinn drops in the same manner.
cheap and easy - especially on smaller tubes - is to use table salt straight out of the blue box - you can pour it right in the tube!

I used to work in the exhaust industry. Back in the day there were dual wall exhaust pipes with space between the walls. Common on old Hondas and stuff but not too common on cars.

The problem is how do you bend two pipes at the same time without the inner one contacting the outer? One way was to fill the tubes with water... and then freeze them. I'm not sure how they kept the outer pipe from splitting when the ice formed but that's how they did it. Fill them with ice, bend the tubes, let it melt.

Obviously powerful machines were used to bend the ice filled tubes, I'm not sure if it could be done by hand. The bonus is if you live in the north country, Freezing them is cheap/easy... in the winter anyway!

Nice to see lots of love for that frame. CCM made mostly camelbacks and double bars. We find them all over up here. Most fit 28 inch dutch style tires they tend to be larger frames.
We get them for 40 to 50 bucks
Here in BC we pay a bit more. I recently picked up a double bar for $100 Cdn and that was a deal because the former owner was moving and running out of time. The bike was complete and original save for the saddle and handle bars. although it had a poor diy repaint job on it.

Got wheels?
Mock up. Mock up. Mock up...
You can probably old school that stay by stepping on it.

Latest posts

Back