Gas Money

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's consensus so I think you should buck the trend and try it out. You can always remove the paint later. Maybe use a different color, like satin dark bronze? Playing devils advocate can be fun. :thumbsup:

Sandblast the crankarms and the sprocket, tape over the threads. Flat finish will look good and/or will take paint better...
Find a guy it'll be cheap...

Something else came up; the temperature. We don't get too many 25° days this time of year
IMG_20221105_141210662.jpg
IMG_20221105_141129978.jpg

I've been talked down off the ledge, at least until I get a complete mock up together. I need to wait until I see the whole picture before I start making big decisions
I can design my bike in my head with no problem, before starting.

But then I am so easily distracted when talking, that I even forget what I meant to do. I could be chatting away in my car and find I am driving to work instead of where I meant to go.

People can be so different.

;)

I might give this a try on a new chain ring I have that's too bright
Are they cadmium plated steel or stainless? Start by rubbing with steel wool to dull. Then soak in vinegar. If they are plated they will start to turn gray. (If they are stainless this will have no effect.) When they have reached the right shade of gray take them out of the vinegar wash and dry. Then fine tune the coloring by wiping on a little silver, gray, black, and orange paint as necessary.
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/spokes-from-chrome-to-patina.47005/
It's worth a shot. Extra patina could be added with distressing techniques.

Got the fork back. Had to improvise to be able to tap and tug the stuck wedge out. I don't have the right tools for the job, so I stuck a stem bolt through the hole in the handle of an adjustable wrench and threaded it into the wedge.
IMG_20221118_102618914.jpg
Then I was able to tap the handle with a hammer to slide it out.
Didn't have anything to clean out the rust inside either, so I wrapped a hook and loop disk around a rat tail file and went to work.
IMG_20221118_100033200.jpg

62b5887b-aac1-4aea-8ccf-6864c880d329_text.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back