Gas pipe 'lucky 7' seatpost

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey folks,
I've been trying to make a 'lucky 7' seatpost and since I don't weld (yet). I thought I'd try some 1/2" standard gas pipe for Home Depot. Simple enough, right? You take a 5" nipple, a 90 degree joint and a 8" nipple, a little JB Weld, a good tightening and viola! You've got a seatpost, what's the big deal?
NOOOOO! It's too small for my seat tube! UUGGHH!
Time to throw on the 'mad scientist' lab coat. So here's what I did to fix it.
First, copper or aluminum can shims weren't cutting it. Then all of a sudden :idea: :idea: :idea:
I took and straight seatpost (sorry no pic of that) and cut the 'beveled' end off, wow! the gas pipe fits inside, but still needs a little shimming. So I buy a 7/8" to 13/16"one of these for $1.99:
101236md.jpg

A little tap and BAM instant Lucky 7. But just to be sure it wouldn't twist on me, I drilled and 'pinned' it with a couple of stainless self-tapping screws (with the heads and tips cut off)
IMG_0340.jpg

And there ya go!
IMG_0339.jpg

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!
Dr. T

I had to just make some 5/8" seat posts for my bikes. Ran down to the local Orchard Supply Hardware and picked up a 36" section of 5/8" solid rod. A quick cutting with a bandsaw and a trip to the vice and some persuation from a torch. Now I've got 3 various sized/angled lucky 7's for my frames.

Latest posts

Back