Gcrank1 from Wisconsin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been looking and reading here only a few weeks, but am very impressed!, never really knew there was a movement like this (old guy, 'out of the loop').
Im 59, been around mechanics and machine work all my life (former motorcycle wrench) but had to sell my last m-cycle about 3yrs ago 'cause I realized I wasnt so good at keeping up with the game anymore (its dangerous out there!). Still, classy bikes are soooo nice........and here I discovered bicycles can be a way for me to keep revved.
In about 1963 I had a real, original ratrod, possibly a CWC built (as I try to visualize it now), brush painted red adult sized frame, cream wheels with pinstriping and a 'racing' leather saddle. It weighed a ton, but was built like a tank; oh how I wish I had it now!
In 1965, for my 12th B-day, my folks got me my dream, a new JC Penney's version of the Raleigh 3spd. It said 'Made in England' , maybe on the fender? (but from research now it looks to have been an Austrian made, under license version), and was light and fast.
By the time I was 15 motorcycles had caught my attention (I wanted to go up hills like I went down hills on the bicycle), and I got my first of many, a bobbed and beat Indian Chief flathead twin that I cleaned up and traded soon for a bobbed and beat 1948 HD 74.
The 'English' bike was in beautiful shape and was sold to a neighbor kid.
Add 30+ years and over 20 motorcycles.......; fast forward:
In the late 80's I had my right ACL rebuilt and needed rehab, biking was supposed to be good so I stopped at the LBS and found a Schwinn cantilever frame, maybe 10-15 yrs old, with a straight MB type fork, ss-coaster and MB tires. Should have kept that one too, but the MB thing hit me and I traded it in for a 18spd Takara. It worked fine but last year I bought a Trek 7200 and sold the T to our neighbor.
About two years ago I swapped a bunch of m-cycle stuff for a (1972?)BSA (appears to be a) Wayfarer, 3spd with 'lots of patina'; it cleaned up great, black, with a wonderful head badge and most decals intact. I flipped the 'northroad' bars and put on a Brooks B-66 a friend gifted me with and it was quite the 'pathracer' for a start. It is a work in progress, mostly original with a few 'sensible mods' ongoing. I call it my 'Pubman'.
Recently I got a real Raleigh Sports off CL and have it in 'tourist' configuration, again, black c/w headbadge and decals.
I 'thought' I would stick with a modest collection/selection of English bikes, and was really looking for a Triumph badged one, and linked onto RatRodBikes........and once I hit the gallery, especially the Board Track Bikes, I was hopelessly gone.
So......within the last couple of weeks a real GT Dyno Deuce (CL again) came home and what a gem!, heavy duty, and lovingly cared for by the original owner and bike mechanic who rebuilt and upgraded the wheels, red brick tires, crankset, etc. (thanx John!). This was to become my boardtracker, but it has become more of a 'rod', in keeping with its original '50's style bobbed fenders and flat black/flames paint. It fits right in with our local 'cruiser car' night at the A&W.
And there are already more, each different in character and possibilities.........so many bikes, so little time!
Life is good! :D >-<=>

gcrank1 said:
Ive been looking and reading here only a few weeks, but am very impressed!, never really knew there was a movement like this (old guy, 'out of the loop').
Im 58, been around mechanics and machine work all my life (former motorcycle wrench) but had to sell my last m-cycle about 3yrs ago 'cause I realized I wasnt so good at keeping up with the game anymore (its dangerous out there!). Still, classy bikes are soooo nice........and here I discovered bicycles can be a way for me to keep revved.
In about 1963 I had a real, original ratrod, probably a Columbia, brush painted red adult sized frame, cream wheels with pinstripping and a 'racing' leather saddle. It weighed a ton, but was built like a tank; oh how I wish I had it now!
In 1965, for my 12th B-day, my folks got me my dream, a new JC Penney's version of the Raleigh 3spd. It said 'Made in England' (but from research now it may have been an Austrian made, under license version), and was light and fast.
By the time I was 15 motorcycles had caught my attention (I wanted to go up hills like I went down hills on the bicycle), and I got my first of many, a bobbed and beat Indian Chief flathead twin that I cleaned up and traded soon for a bobbed and beat 1948 HD 74.
The 'English' bike was in beautiful shape and was sold to a neighbor kid.......I needed it no more.
Add 30+ years and over 20 motorcycles.......
Fast forward:
In the late 80's I had my right ACL rebuilt and needed rehab, biking was supposed to be good so I stopped at the LBS and found a Schwinn cantilever frame, maybe 10-15 yrs old, with a straight MB type fork, ss-coaster and MB tires (now I see you call them 'bombers'). Should have kept that one too, but the MB thing hit me and I traded it in for a 18spd Takara. It worked fine but last year I bought a Trek 7200 and sold the T to our neighbor.
About two years ago I swapped a bunch of m-cycle stuff for a BSA Sport 3spd with 'lots of patina'; it cleaned up great, black, with a wonderful head badge and most decals intact. I flipped the 'northroad' bars and put on a Brooks B-66 a friend gifted me with and it looks quite the 'pathracer'. The Sturmey Archer hub is coded 1971, and I believe it likely the original.
Recently I found both a men's and ladie's Raleigh Sports in 'light roadster/tourist' configuration, again, black c/w headbadge and decals, so my wife and I can look for a 'tweed ride'.
I 'thought' I would stick with a modest collection/selection of English bikes, and was really looking for a Triumph badged one, and linked onto RatRodBikes........and once I hit the gallery, especially the Board Track Bikes, I was hopelessly gone.
So......within the last couple of weeks a real GT Dyno (CL again) came home and what a gem!, heavy duty, and lovingly cared for by the original owner and bike mechanic who rebuilt and upgraded the wheels, red brick tires, crankset, etc. (thanx John!). This has become my retro rod/boardtracker.
And last (last?.....yeah, right!), my friend that I swapped into the BSA from gave me a 196(?) Westen Flyer with the space frame, a homebuilt MB beater bomber. It has such wonderful lines and Im trying to decide if I should spiff it up into a delicate boardtracker or leave it rat with nice upgrades as I go. I think the seat, or just seat pan, I find will be the deciding factor.
So many bikes, so little time............
Life is good! :D >-<=>

Hey Greg; yeah, Ive been past Bangor on the way to LaX, etc., may have even done a MC Swap Meet there wayyyy back. How do you like pedaling the coulee's? :D
Have you been to the bike museum in Sparta and/or run the Elroy, Sparta trail?

gcrank1 said:
Hey Greg; yeah, Ive been past Bangor on the way to LaX, etc., may have even done a MC Swap Meet there wayyyy back. How do you like pedaling the coulee's? :D
Have you been to the bike museum in Sparta and/or run the Elroy, Sparta trail?

I have not been to the museum in Sparta. Nor have I rode the Sparta-Elroy trail. I usually ride between Bangor and West Salem or Rockland. It is part of the same trail system. I usually don't ride too far. I get enough exercise just riding around town. Bangor is all up hill :)

Latest posts

Back