Getting CDL, straight up stressful (DRIVING TEST TODAY! 5/9)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm 36, so I've been driving for 20 years, never had a ticket, life is grand.

The church bought a 26 passenger bus (Ford van with 26 passenger box), so they have required that I get my CDL.

Ugh! I've been stressed out about this since I got the news. Finally today I went and took my knowledge tests (one general knowledge and one passenger knowledge) and I passed them, they weren't hard, but I found out during the test that I had been studying from an old book, so I missed a couple because of that.

My old book made it seem like I didn't need a DOT medical exam... wrong. I don't have a doctor, so now I have to find a doctor and get this exam card filled out. Then I have to schedule a skills test (behind the wheel) at a DMV testing site 50 miles from here and I just found out that there is a wait of 30-60 days.

Bad news, I'm suppose to have the CDL before the end of this month... not going to happen! :x Not that I need to drive it anywhere by the end of the month, but that's when they said I needed it.

Please pray that they give me some grace on this here at church as this was part of my review and could cause trouble for not being complete.

I'm pretty stressed right now. :|

Re: Getting CDL, straight up stressful.

Don't know if anyone had a chance to pray, but it has been answered. I just talked to the pastor about having to get the medical (a local doctor's office said they couldn't take me till end of April to early June) and the 30 to 60 day wait for the skills test. He assured me it was NO problem and that all they wanted to see was that I was "headed in that direction." Wow, that really lifted a burden.

"Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved." -Psalm 55:22

Didn't see this the first time around, glad to hear it doesn't sound like it is time restricted for your review anymore :wink: Stress is stressful :lol:

CCR said:
Didn't see this the first time around, glad to hear it doesn't sound like it is time restricted for your review anymore :wink: Stress is stressful :lol:

It all happened so quickly.

"By awesome deeds you answer us with righteousness, O God of our salvation, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas;" Psalm 65:5

How often do you have to get a physical to keep the CDL once you have it?

I was a limo driver (public service license, no CDL) for 12 years and we had to get a physical every two years.

DOT medical is good for two years.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations on your CDL. I have over a million miles behind me. I sold my truck and trailer off at the end of 2011 to spend more time with my family.

otroo said:
Congratulations on your CFO. I have over a million miles behind me. I sold my truck and trailer off at the end of 2011 to spend more time with my family.

Thanks, I know I won't be doing a million miles, but in the church bus I expect maybe a couple thousand this Summer. haha

Special endorsements on your license are good to have. I don't need my public service endorsement any more, but I keep renewing it just in case.

Yooth, you might want to check a bit further on the medical physical requirements. I don't have the regs in front of me but as I recall a current physical isn't necessary unless you will be crossing a state line. I have driven a local transit bus for over 30 years (state of Michigan) and only need it because our company does cross into Ohio in daily revenue service. The physical doesn't hurt but not having to take one can save ya $100 plus bucks every two years. Your church or its insurance carrier may require it for insurance coverage.

Have fun driving that bus.
Gizmo

The church is paying for all associated fees, so that is good.

I was given no option on the physical, but we are 10 minutes from the VA line and most of my driving the bus will be out of state, most stuff around here I just drive the vans.

OK, written tests are done, physical is done, I have my CDL learner's permit, now today (May 9th) I take my vehicle pre-trip inspection and driving test at 2:00pm.

Once again, I'm nervous, so any prayers would be greatly appreciated. I really need to pass since I don't know if I could get another test date before we are supposed to leave on our mission trip that I need the CDL for. Thanks.

Relax Youthguy, it's all taken care of, you just need be there and give your best.
Congrats on the CDL, I'm that sure of you!

Good luck, I too am thinking of getting my CDL soon. Just take it slow and be cautious behind the wheel and you should do fine.

OK, I got the CDL. The part of the test I had stopped worrying about ended up being the part that I did the worst on, but the part that I was MOST worried about I aced!

To complete the CDL today I had to do the pre-trip inspection, a skills test, and a road test.

I had quit worrying about the pre-trip thinking that they just wanted a general inspection. I was thorough, but not thorough enough, I got 84 out of 100 points.

I was most worried about the behind the wheel parts of the test since the first time driving the bus on the road was this morning driving it to the DMV.

Skills test: 100 out of 100 points

Road test: 99 out of 100 points

She was picking on me with the 1 point lost on the road test, she said I was doing too good. About a mile after going over a bridge she asked "What was the weight on that bridge?" I hadn't paid attention and just told her I didn't know, so she took a point. Later she told me that nobody gets that, and the bridge has no posted weight! haha'

Thanks for the prayer guys!

Latest posts

Back