Ghetto Hotwire Foam Cutting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulu

Stinky Old Fish
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of videos on YouTube about cutting Styrofoam with a hot wire. I’m not going to get too technical here, but the key is you need a piece of thin nichrome wire.

I could not find this at the local hardware store. We used to buy it when I was a kid, to make the coils for setting off model rockets. But this wire is also used as the coils and resistance heaters in a hairdryer, or in my case, a Wagner heat gun with burned up electronics. I killed the chips taking all the stickers off of brand new huffy.
55D5D243-2DD7-4EC5-9C0F-AC736C28B079.jpeg

I used the thick main heater coil and an alligator clip, as a ghetto rheostat, to adjust the heat of the hot wire. This one works fine with the clip on the third coil, but this will vary with the gauge and length of the hotwire you use.

It runs off a small car battery, through my rheostat. The hot wire itself came from a thinner coil of wire inside the heater. Here’s my ghetto rheostat:
FB8B03B9-2F5D-49C6-9F73-1E8EAE8D9C8B.jpeg

This coil will get hot in use, so don’t let it rest on the battery case, or it will melt the plastic. Ask me how I know…

I made this little wooden compass to support the hotwire and cut circles. Of course it will not encompass a 4’x8’ sheet, so after I proved the device on this corner, I had to rough it out first, to finish it.
D166870E-92D5-41B6-A4F8-F30049593C7A.jpeg

BD496562-7155-4FEE-92F3-1375C3125180.jpeg

7A790195-6737-4E72-B61D-21976D8D8B75.jpeg

6136D3B5-8220-42A9-89E4-1EF1E969DBE1.jpeg

43A1C3F9-EDDE-4400-8D29-E2FBF5496694.jpeg

If you decide to do this hot wire cutting business, it is best to make the frame as stiff as possible to keep tension on the hot wire. I was able to easily put a nice taper on the cut, but without a good constant tension on the wire, you can get some waviness quite easily.

I could adjust the heat up and down by moving the alligator clip but I tend to run the hot wire a little cool and travel slowly. You can run it hot and travel fast but that means you will make mistakes more quickly as well.

Also the hotter the wire is, the more fumes this process will release, and my final advice to you is do not breathe in the fumes from cutting the plastic.

They are Toxic .
Do this outdoors where there’s lots of air, and even use a fan in still air.

Last edited:
Because the length of the hotwire changes as it heats up, it normally has a spring to provide constant tension. I was relying on springy wood and electrical tape. Using some type of a bow to keep tension is commonly done too.

I was only cutting 1.5” So I didn’t need a long hotwire.

I’ve seen this done with 4’ to 8’ long hotwires. What amazes me is I somehow I stumbled onto the correct heat setting right away.

I tried it for a fraction of the second of the full 12 V and then estimated how much resistance I would need by eyeball. Bingo!

Back