Gichigami Growler Grabber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike fought me all the way. I didn't get to add any of the extras I had planned so I am sure I will keep tinkering with it as the months go on. For now, this is the Gichigami Growler Grabber!
GGG.jpg

39105974015_cea101e9ec_o.jpg

Front.jpg

Rotor.jpg

Badge.jpg
Rack.jpg

Electra Wheelset with a Nexus 3 speed in the rear and 6 bolt disc up front.
HUGE DISC Brake and caliper adapter by www.bicycledesigner.com
Front Disc Fork by www.bicycledesigner.com
Kenda Small Block 8 tires
SHUN Track Fixie Crank Crankset 170mm 46T
Shimano UN55 BB Square Taper Bottom Bracket (68x122.5mm)
4 hole BB conversion adapter
Brooks B17 Saddle
Turbo Grips
Origin 8 stem
Novich Amazon disc brake caliper

Last edited:
Something tells me those brakes will work fine...
Love the frame of this bike...
images

Coolest frame and awesome component choices - toughest bike in the build-off!

furyus

Very nice!:thumbsup: Gotta love those Columbia Thunderbolt\Newsboy frames.

One thing I'm noticing about the front brakes, is it appears as if the caliper mount may be upside down. The brake pads are making little contact with the disk. It looks like flipping the bracket over will bring the caliper closer to the disk thereby improving the pads contact patch. Ignore my obsevation if it is in order.:crazy:

Last edited:
Somehow I totally missed the mega disc!
This bike turned out great buddy!
Glad you were able to work through the issues!
BRAVO!

Thanks a lot guys, I am pretty happy with this bike so far. I wanted it to look tough and based on the feedback, it seems I accomplished that!

Very nice!:thumbsup: Gotta love those Columbia Thunderbolt\Newsboy frames.

One thing I'm noticing about the front brakes, is it appears as if the caliper mount may be upside down. The brake pads are making little contact with the disk. It looks like flipping the bracket over will bring the caliper closer to the disk thereby improving the pads contact patch. Ignore my obsevation if it is in order.:crazy:

Based on this pic and the markings that say "down" on the adapter, I am pretty sure it is on there right?

monster-rotor-rigid.jpg

Got it. I'm basing my observation from the third pic in the OP, whereby the wear on the disc looks like there is only about 1/8" inch to nearly nothing in terms of pad contact. Also in the first pic, it looks like center bolt is off from the ideal disc contact area by about 10mm. I had this sort of problem on Felt tubular fork where I ended up using a 180mm disk with a 160mm bracket. It was off that much by design.

This is a worthy build. Be sure to post some pics in the "Show Me Your Thunderbolt and Newsboy Specials" thread.

Last edited:
Got it. I'm basing my observation from the third pic in the OP, whereby the wear on the disc looks like there is only about 1/8" inch to nearly nothing in terms of pad contact. Also in the first pic, it looks like center bolt is off from the ideal disc contact area by about 10mm. I had this sort of problem on Felt tubular fork where I ended up using a 180mm disk with a 160mm bracket. It was off that much by design.

This is a worthy build. Be sure to post some pics in the "Show Me Your Thunderbolt and Newsboy Specials" thread.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I will have to look at it more closely.

Latest posts

Back