Gooey Syrup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know the Mosselman? He comes from Scheveningen:

@Frankie plekhand :grin:

Sorry for that piece of Dutch culture, great memories from the 90's.

So the thread of the driver is toast. Took me some time to remove the nut:
AIFCrfC.jpeg

I replaced it with the Shimano CB-E110 driver which is very similar!
The only things that are different: It is a bit wider (+2mm chainline) and the small driver-side bearing of the Shimano is a bit bigger (bigger balls :21: )

CE7XlJw.jpeg

Shimano.

AXvQzsc.jpeg

The broken one with thread.

After this I reassembled the rear hub, and put the chain back on. I think it is quite foolproof now.
Only one anomaly I observed: The rear sprocket/cog spring that holds it in place on the driver, was square instead of round. It came off of a older version of the Shimano coaster brake series. Does anyone ever noticed this?

So I found a second hand rollerbrake with a huge heat sink/cooling fin.
AkS4zwa.jpeg

Let this sink in...

nn2p8KJ.jpeg

Tape added so I can paint the rest.

2UJz09W.jpeg

One problem...... I am missing something here...... where do I mount the brake cable? I think I need a 'link unit' or arm of some sorts.

Sigh... rollerbrakes...

@OddJob you are right, I like the chainguard aligned with the chain better (it was quite dark already):
u5uR0OO.jpeg

Haha yes de mosselman, i have a cd single somewhere🤣🤣
And yes you need a cable hook, maybe i have one laying around, i'll check when i get home today!

Edit: i see you already ordered one..

Hope you get all your braking and drivetrain issues resolved. The bike is looking great. I like the chainguard mounting solution.

Super cool build, Bart. I love choppers and this one checks all of the boxes. Nicely designed, very cool details and nicely finished too. That chainguard treatment is pretty slick. I never would have thought to do it that way. Nice work!

Very cool. Love the chain guard and sprocket combo. That roller brake should work. I’m surprised how good the one on the front of my build off bike works. Ensure it doesn’t have too much slack in the cable and the assembly is greased or it will sound rough.

Bart, this bike is sooooo cool. You've nailed it. The guard is just right, doesn't do anything to protect your leg, but the paint is covered. That seems like a perfect chopper metaphor; "who cares about rider safety, LOOK AT THE BIKE!!!"
Hahaha thanks mr Thundrrr! Haven't thought of leg/trousers protection to be honest. I (almost) always cycle in shorts.

Haha yes de mosselman, i have a cd single somewhere🤣🤣
And yes you need a cable hook, maybe i have one laying around, i'll check when i get home today!

Edit: i see you already ordered one..
Thanks for the offer!

Hope you get all your braking and drivetrain issues resolved. The bike is looking great. I like the chainguard mounting solution.
Thank you King!

Super cool build, Bart. I love choppers and this one checks all of the boxes. Nicely designed, very cool details and nicely finished too. That chainguard treatment is pretty slick. I never would have thought to do it that way. Nice work!
Appreciate that! It ticks a lot of boxes for me aswel. I never have a full design plan, I try to vision the finish.

Very cool. Love the chain guard and sprocket combo. That roller brake should work. I’m surprised how good the one on the front of my build off bike works. Ensure it doesn’t have too much slack in the cable and the assembly is greased or it will sound rough.
Thanks! I like the large fin too, someone asked me if the bike has a disc brake. Can't blame em 😉

I assembled the lamp and made a steel bracket. It is a tough bracket and will not wobble while riding over cobblestones.

I really like this lamp! It has that 90's? vibe. @Ulu Has a similar lamp on his build.
I also mounted a bell.

ZJJaVnB.jpg
the black plug is originally used for bar ends.

GH8AyTU.jpeg

GGLPeVQ.jpeg

KkQXnnH.jpeg

O4FHuNM.jpeg

WgoYXmx.jpeg

oebLaw1.jpeg

Swet! What a great looking headlight. It fits the build perfectly. It would be cool if you had one more to mount off of the top plate.

Oh, no dude. That headlight is sweet! What is it? I need a couple so I can stack them on my '69 Ironhead chop, the one in my avatar. Very nice.
That is a cool bike you got Pondo!
Thank you! I don't know the brand unfortunately. I shall take a second look when I finish the bike this week.

Swet! What a great looking headlight. It fits the build perfectly. It would be cool if you had one more to mount off of the top plate.
I only have one. My uncle has more retro "trailer" lights laying around. Hope to pick some up soon. But not for this build.

Cough cough.
View attachment 205246
Ahem.
Excuse me

Awesome match Matti! Thank you for that effort.

At first I did not want two headlamps, but this picture makes me go; huh....

For this build, I'll keep a single headlamp.

I managed to finish most things and details: Nuts for the finishing of the rear shaft. Managed to pull the chain so tight it does not remove the rear sprocket and it does not hit the steel chaincover (I don't like that sound).
Due to the stretch of the long chain, when accelerating hard, the bottom part of the chain slacks a bit and it can hit the chaincover.
Now its OK, but I will certainly put some PTFE gliders on there in the future.

This bike rides great though!

And I had some fun with the final big to do thing: Paracord seat deck.
I could have laced it even thicker, but I like this balance:

WRDnqzt.jpeg

YpECdoW.jpeg

yna6hBm.jpeg

Front brake DONE.

DFETwub.jpeg

Planning...

FNf1oXg.jpeg

Loopy nose!

GeOlBTh.jpeg

0FXEQR1.jpeg

liq9Wth.jpeg

nuKpIVc.jpeg

Finished the seat! Maybe add minor details, depending on the time.

To do before the finished bike thread:
-Assemble the seat on the bike.
-Checkout final details.
-Cleaning and technical check.
-Riding and make pictures/ride video.

Very busy week this week! Hope to finish this purple people eater.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Diggin' the paracord seat deck! It really 'tied it together'...! :grin:

Wicked cool idea on the saddle. I liked it as it was, but that dresses it up in a very cool and unique way while still showing the skeleton.

Latest posts

Back