Great site

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Collected (mostly pre-war) balloon tire bikes, parts, and accessories ~25yrs ago.
Had quite a few good bikes, some original, some restored, and lots of NOS accessories and parts in boxes.
Actively bought and sold so went through a bunch of bikes and parts.
Built some hotrod/custom cruisers with vintage framesets and modern (at that time lol) components.
Had a full pro bike shop set up, all the right tools to do pretty much everything.
Got out of it ~20yrs ago, sold nearly everything, kept a few bikes, some smalls and my favorite custom: a black Monark Super Deluxe...thus my handle.
Recently been getting the itch to build a bike so here I am. Got a pile of parts heading this way, gonna miss having a full shop.
The only picture from the old-days to share right now is one taken ~1990 at a ride in Ocean Beach CA; a friend just took a pic from a PHOTOGRAPH (!) and sent to me. I'd just "finished" The Black Monark, looking at it now I see seat and bars were out of adjustment lol.
At that moment it had orig steel rims, frame, fork, stem, handlebars, and seatpost all powderdoated gloss black. The hubs: OMAS front and Sachs 2spd kick, spokes were chrome plated 14g, blackwall knobbies, Brooks B33, GT crank (175?) and aluminum chainring, Union pedals, I think Dura-Ace chain but can't remember. HS was some alloy BMX iirc, Tuf Neck seatpost clamp. Over time I changed the bike a bit: respoked with straight 15g Wheelsmith and black alloy nipples into powdercoated Campagnolo mtb rims, all-black Continental tires (don't remember the model), and some other changes we'll see when I get her out of storage. Bike really goes. Used to take it on road rides with friends on mtbs with slicks. They'd goof at the start but couldn't believe it when I was keeping up and then some.

monark.jpg

Looking forward to taking part here, thanks.

Welcome!
Great story!
Welcome back to the madness !

Here is some bicycle itch ointment. I think it might help :wink:
Apply liberally!

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back