Greetings from CT...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all... I've lurked long enough (my apologies)... Recently lost my job and found myself with time on my hands as I look for a new gig and the desire to become more active. Did some running in the early 80's but knee pain was an issue. I had a road bike years after that and used it pretty regularly, but gave that up mid-late 80's for a Mountain Bike hybrid. I road on and off for a few years and did a few parts upgrades on my ride. It was no big deal, just some component swaps, straight bars, bar ends, seat, chain ring, minor stuff but made a difference riding. My bike is a '88 Fuji Cadenza, nothing extravagant but it still has life in it. Haven't ridden it in years due to back problems.

I ran across this site actually by accident and here and there would surf through the builds where people swapped out the bars and some other components on their mountain bikes to eventually end up with a town/commuter/cruiser style bike. I was pretty much an addicted lurker since then. I really like almost anything with wheels. I frequent another forum for Striped Bass fishing and was also influenced to get the Fuji rebuilt by reading up on what some of the guys over there do when they fish the Cape Cod canal. Parking is a HUGE hassle along the sides of the canal and access to the paths and trails is restricted to non-motorized vehicles. They build what they refer to as "Canal Bikes". Very functional but cool rides that they can use to easily travel from spot to spot and carry their gear comfortably/efficiently. Many of these are very similar to the MTB conversions I see over here. I've always had a great interest in doing something else with bikes again. That said, I never had enough dough for the outright purchase of another decent bike-shop-bike in that style when I was employed, let alone now without a job. So I started eyeballing my old Fuji in the basement. I've gathered some basic new parts and am now mid-upgrade. I think I've gone full circle pretty much. On the road, then off the road, now back on the road... only I'm a lot older and now trying to do it more comfortably. Because of this site though and all the new ideas and build pictures, I am now finding my way back onto the saddle IN STYLE. Thanks for that and I'll post up some pics when I have something to show for my efforts. Also about me and my other interests... I am an admin on another forum for vintage HO slot cars (which I restore and customize) and in warmer months I do a lot of surf casting from the CT shoreline. Best Regs Everyone... tjd

Welcome to RRB! Speaking of "full circle", a google search for cape cod canal bikes led back to here!
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/bighead-canal-cruiser.40634/
canalcruising2.jpg

http://www.onthewater.com/a-guide-to-canal-bikes/

:)

Thanks HF.... I saw that article over on On The Water and I didn't think to throw up the link...doh!... I didn't see that one over here (thanks). I've actually been in the Cape Cod area a number of times over the years. The wife and I would love to live on the Cape, but prices are prohibitive. Great vaca spot though and the bike paths and trails are nice and plentiful. Saltwater fishing is legendary, not only the canal, but pretty much the entire Cape Cod coastal area. Even freshwater trout fishing is good, with an open season year round, regular stocking, there's even a few ponds out on Martha's Vineyard. The hatchery truck gets ferried over!

Latest posts

Back