Greetings from New Jersey.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I'll admit it, I've lurked this board in the past, back when I was looking for info on a 24" Schwinn Speedster I got at a yard sale as a broke-... kid which spent the last decade hanging on a hook in my parent's shed... and I've been lurking heavy-duty ever since I pulled a '36 Rollfast cruiser and a wartime Rex (by Shelby) out of the trash early this Spring.

GREAT site you've got here, full of a TON of information... and I'm in absolute awe of some of your builds and your abilities.

Me? I'm a guitar guy. I suppose you could say I make "rat rod guitars"... you know, you find bodies, necks, electronics in various conditions... sometimes you slap 'em together and play them as-is, down and dirty... sometimes you smooth out the edges and give it a nice nitrocellulose with a seafoam tint and gold hardware hahaha...

So, anyhoo, that aesthetic in mind... of all the "antique"-ish bike sites I've come across, yours has GOT to be my favorite!

Thought it was high time I introduce myself!

I'm Mike Ambrose. I just moved to northwest NJ. I'm a working musician by night and a live audio engineer later in the night ... former Lambretta junkie who got clean... and now, having pulled these bikes from the trash, would it be a terrible pun if I said I'm "back on the junk"? Yes. Yes it would.

I'll post some pics when I dig my camera out (like I said, only JUST moved in!)... but I think my first project up here is going to be getting that Rollfast on the road. I've got fenders and one truss rod for it (anyone know where I can find another?)... Sourced a few wacky parts that definitely are not "correct" but look cool as all heck (a back rack and a chainguard, specifically)... I just picked up some tubes for it... a friend loaned me a chain derailleur for when I get a new chain for it, but well, I've no idea where to begin with that, or what kind of chain to even get!... But I suppose I'll learn these things as time passes.

Anyhoo... like I said, GREAT site... I'm looking forward to learning a thing or two here!

-Mike Ambrose

PS Any ideas what I should/could do with this 'ol 24" Speedster?

Fireproof said:
Hey Mike, hello and welcome to RatRodBikes! 8)

ambrose said:
PS Any ideas what I should/could do with this 'ol 24" Speedster?
Please show us some pics! :wink:

Thanks Fireproof!

I just posted some photos in the gallery of my bikes... or, well... of the piles of parts that will become bikes shortly haha... the Speedster's in there!

vanilla_gorilla said:
where at? im in somerville

Truth be told, I actually grew up/lived in South Bound Brook. Left, did the Brunswick thing, toured (with bands, not with bikes haha), moved around a lot, and found myself back there again for the last few years. But I feel like I was in Somerville all the time. Went to IHS, practically grew up at Connie's, my fiance and I went to Alfonso's practically every week until we moved hahaha!

Anyhoo, just moved from there to the town of Stanhope, about 45 minutes north.

Funny enough it seems that you, HotRodJen, and I know some of the same people (going by Facebook).

Latest posts

Back