Grocery store bike challenge.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was not sure were to ask this. but Underground Velo did this a ways back. it was a big hit. we would agree on a build time frame. make a grocery list. to challenge the builders. IE eggs brake easy so you build must ride smooth. bread squishes easy. milk and ice cream must stay cold. so you build should have away to keep things cool. fail if you get home from the store and your gallon of ice cream is a slurry shake LOL. every one in it has to keep in mind build the pedal vehicle fast yet smooth but stylishly cool. so it gets more votes. it must be practically functional. all builders must prove it gets the job done. IE after build dead line. members prove it works .photo in front of your house/home with the date and time. then each entry pedals X number of miles to the food / Grocery store. buys the items on list. must get them all home safe to use/eat. IE no former eggs in shell now cracked and well scrambled. LOL bonus bragging wright for how fast you get there and back! :rockout: :113:

when we did it guys were building cool one offs. with detachable shopping carts or bikes they could pedal wright in to the store and load up the goods. then posting you tube videos of them competing in the shopping challenge.

any who just throwing the Idea out their to see what you all think? YAY or NA?

You're asking in the right place. You just need to find a worthy adversary (or several) that want to partake

@GuitarlCarl has done several self ran challenge events with great success. That's the whole point of this sub forum!

You're asking in the right place. You just need to find a worthy adversary (or several) that want to partake

@GuitarlCarl has done several self ran challenge events with great success. That's the whole point of this sub forum!
:cool:

At first I wasn’t interested. Mainly because I sell all the bikes I build. Generally at a loss. And I don’t want to build bikes that don’t sell.
But the more I think about it, the more I like it. I need to start riding a bike the grocery store instead of driving a car. I’m in!
This would be a keeper.

Ok so the time frame is important. I used to run the Unofficial March Shootout between the regular buildoffs just to fill in the space. The challenge build offs never get too big so don't expect a large crowd. Go and look at the Unofficial March Shootouts. That's how the build challenges run. Everyone in one thread. Does anyone know when the NEXT buildoff starts?

Oh and I'm in. I was thinking about a similar build and was wondering where it would fit in and this pops up. Cool.

Does anyone know when the NEXT buildoff starts?

***** NOTHING SET IN STONE

But below is what we will probably see. Slight tweaks or modifications may occur

May-July : annual build-off with class 1/class 2 as usual

Aug : off

Sept-Nov : winter build-off with the MBBO (possibly go back to the class 1/class 2 format like the old days?)

Dec : off

And then starting in 2024

Jan-Mar : build-off classes TBD (ORBO, etc.....)

Apr : off

Rinse and repeat the others listed above. 3 contests per year, 3 months per, 1 month in between to replenish and recharge

i'd be into that grocery store challenge! my minds abuzz with ideas!~
Ive even been online already and looked for idea's.. came across this and I must say its the most ingenious thing ive seen a pushbike used for!
this video is about how peeps carry things on bikes.... scroll forward to 4.11 on this video! otherwise its just normal banter about carrying things, but at 4.11 minutes you'll see it.... YOU'LL SEE IT...!!!!

Last edited:
I used a repurposed bike trailer with a large tote attached. Use a cooler. Bungee all down! Tie bread to saddle bag. I shop for 2. Or....she holds 4 cases with ice easily. But the ride home is a mess.

Latest posts

Back