Grunt (son of Kaiju)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20221007_113736.jpg
IMG_20221007_114053.jpg

Ok here's what I'm starting with and an old Free Spirit to use for tubing...
Slice and dice.

Last edited:
Yes, I think one can...
IMG_20221007_230759.jpg
IMG_20221007_230746.jpg

The seat tube from the Free Spirit fit inside a section of the seatpost from the Pug. There's still a pair of seat stays to fab. I'll run them high to match Kaiju.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, as soon as I got this bike I knew what I'd eventually do. The seatpost fitting was a stroke of luck. I think the paint on my two build off bikes should kinda match and running the seat stays up higher than the top tube will also enhance the family resemblance (and support tonnage better)

Worked on guitars today, came home and started the tedious job of peeling stickers. Heat gun, razor blade and eventually Goo Gone. But it's date night so I can't do much gotta get cleaned up for that... Might weld a bit later tonight, seat stays etc. Oh gotta stretch me some new cables to reach the taller bars too.
IMG_20221008_153508.jpg
IMG_20221008_153437.jpg

I can't wait to see how it looks with an adult on it. The proportions with the small fattys will be quite unique
First we'll have to find an adult... I rode it around the yard today. It's different, kinda like a tall pit bike. I think it'll be fun in the snow.

Last edited:
I got the stays and the top tube welded in tonight. I think you can see the family resemblance now. Paint and detailing will pull it together even more. I've still got to build cables but I was in the mood to smell some burning steel.
IMG_20221009_200520.jpg
IMG_20221009_200330.jpg

They're also both roughly 30" crank center to sit bones on the saddle. That's what fits me.

I love this little bike.
Thank you. It is cute for sure and on the first ride yesterday it felt robust as well. I'm still working on paint schemes for the two of them and a few details they'll share too.

It now has brakes. I made up new cables, reusing some of the sleeves, not much to see. The shifter is a different story. I don't have a longer cable so I may be mounting the grip shifter elsewhere as a stick. Or I cut down a huge lead brake cable end into the tiny barrel that fits in the shifter although the cable itself is bigger and would probably cause additional issues... Maybe my LBS could help lol.

It now has brakes. I made up new cables, reusing some of the sleeves, not much to see. The shifter is a different story. I don't have a longer cable so I may be mounting the grip shifter elsewhere as a stick. Or I cut down a huge lead brake cable end into the tiny barrel that fits in the shifter although the cable itself is bigger and would probably cause additional issues... Maybe my LBS could help lol.
Glad I'm not the only one that tries to mcgyver something that you can buy for a few dollars, just to save a trip to the store.

How long are the cranks?
I'm glad you brought that up. Short enough to change for sure. I just went out and measured them, 5.5 inches with plenty of ground clearance, more than I'll ever need. I'll see what I've got in the bin. Are you in need of a short crank arm set?

I'm glad you brought that up. Short enough to change for sure. I just went out and measured them, 5.5 inches with plenty of ground clearance, more than I'll ever need. I'll see what I've got in the bin. Are you in need of a short crank arm set?

Nope, I was more concerned for you wanting a longer stroke when it gets going. Nothing is more frustrating than riding a bike with a short crank when there’s room for a full-size one.

Nope, I was more concerned for you wanting a longer stroke when it gets going. Nothing is more frustrating than riding a bike with a short crank when there’s room for a full-size one.
True it's like pedaling a monkey bike. I'm spinning the cranks but not going anywhere. You just beat me to it. Thanks little brother.

Latest posts

Back