GT or not?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked this bike up a while back, freshened it up and put it on Craigslist, not thinking too much of it. I get an email saying its not a GT, its a junk bike with GT stickers on it. So I look into it a little bit, and I think the guy may be partially right, although the weird thing is it has a lot of GT parts on it.

I just assumed it was a GT Mach One, somewhere I got the idea it was a 1995 model, although now I think I might have been confusing it with the last bike I had. Here is what I have noticed:

The frame does not have the typical top tube through the seat tube design, with the GT logo on the end, nor are the dropouts stamped GT. it also does not have the partial looptail design that a lot of Mach Ones had. Does this frame look like anything GT ever made? The guy said the welds looked "crappy" (obviously the top tube has been rewelded, I think he was referring to the other factory welds.)

The bike has an older GT stem (possibly worth as much as I was asking for the whole bike, surprised he didn't pick up on that), GT grips, a GT seat, GT seat post clamp, and brakes with GT branded pads.

Everything else not mentioned above has a GT sticker on it, but is there any way to tell if the seat post, forks, and bars are truly GT?

The serial number is on the head tube and starts with M06, which may or may not be consistent with the bike being a (M)ach one, but is that even in a place where you would find a serial on a GT? I know a lot have it on the dropouts.

The wheels, hubs, chainring, cranks and headset are all suspect to me. I think GT would have used better parts, but if you recognize something as being a GT part, let me know.

Can anyone date the stickers? I'm thinking mid 90's, but there are so many different GT bikes out there I get lost when I try to look for something similar.

I just want to know what it is or isn't before I part it out. I was half tempted to part it out anyway because of the frame, but since it all looked like it belonged together I thought I'd try to sell it complete first.

Thoughts?

Pics:

gt1.jpg

gt2.jpg

gt3b.jpg

gt4.jpg

gt5.jpg

gt6.jpg

gt7.jpg

gt8.jpg

gt9.jpg

gt10b.jpg

gt11b.jpg

I am fairly certain that's actually a Murray x20
Been a long time but it's definitely not GT.

mikeeebikey said:
I am fairly certain that's actually a Murray x20
Been a long time but it's definitely not GT.

Wow, you're like some kind of BMX Rainman, Mikey!

Sure looks like one, don't it? It's funny, after the guy called me out, I started scouring the BMX museum like a madman trying to figure out what I had, and the whole time I kept thinking "man, that big brake bridge looks so familiar, I know I've seen it somewhere before..."

Turns out it was closer than I thought, like literally hanging right behind me:

mu1.jpg

mu2.jpg

mu3.jpg

Old Murray Track Certified something or other, same brake bridge, same geometry, same s/n configuration in the same place. Odd that on the second bike there are no visible welds, guessing its stamped together by a machine somehow.

Now I need to figure out if the first one is the chromoly version or not.

I worked a fast paced bike shop in the day, 1980ish on thru the 90s. Now mind you I was the snot nosed, "sweep up, clean up, and general p.it.a. to the owner." But, he was a real cool schwinn schooled oldtimer. He directed me to the newer schwinn dealer opening acrossed town.
The whole time I'm riding a Mongoose supergoose, tangle cro mo fork, arayas, bullseyes, pro neck, whatever bars weren't breaking, and raging, it was the 80s!!!!! Glam rock, punk rock, who cares go for it.
By 1985 I got sponsored, was "lead mechanic," at the cool guy bike shop.
Saw, fixed, jumped, wrecked, and any number of bicycle mayhem antics with 80s stuff.
I launched an X-24 that was identical to that, it sheared in half upon landing, I paid in flesh. I remember.

Pretty sure it's an X20R. I had one bitd, and I broke my frame the same way.

Think it is a 82 the only thing wrong with it is the spotty rust and some of the blue pealing off the rims and the rear reflector. It even still has the original shipping caps. I actually need to bring it in and work on cleaning the frame up so it can be used in our church's christmas special.

Back