GTHOtrod's Hot finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used caustic soda to sort out the stuck post after watching a video on youtube. You need to cut the post down leaving about an inch protruding from the frame. Fill the seat mast with a mix of CS and water. The solution slowly eats away at the alloy post and after 5 or so fills it will be the thickness of a coke can. Pull whatever is left of it out with pliers. The CS does not affect steel. Make sure you use gloves and a mask.
Great info. I'm thinking I may have to give this a go.
I broke the top off the post in the vice, using the frame for leverage, after spraying for two days. Cut it down to just below the damaged area, and hammered the micro adjust back into the post. Fortunately it's now at the correct height for my short legs🤣

I saw this in a scrap pile so I had to grab it.
20230309_142709.jpg

It was attached to this funny looking thing🤔
20230309_142658.jpg
20230309_142724.jpg

Scored this Crusty 40th anniversary 2017 Big Ripper from market place yesterday.
Screenshot_20230315_192636_Facebook.jpg

Spent a good 4 hours cleaning last night and started to get it looking nice again.
20230315_224518.jpg

So this afternoon was time for a decent test ride.
20230316_164917.jpg

Need to make a few changes for my liking, swap the brake lever for a RH, change the grips etc. Plus keep an eye out for a nice Brooks.

I stumbled across a similar handlebar stem on FB a few weeks ago. The one I saw was called a softride suspension stem…. Guy wanted $100 for the bike: if it was closer, I probably would have got it just for the stem as the stem alone lists for like $200 on eBay.
Ive never seen em before! look great! havnt seen a mainstream roll out, are they any good , You'd have people just looking at the stem alone LOL

It's from the experimental era of mountain biking. Suspension was in its infancy, and they were trying everything. As it turns out, just suspending the bars isn't as effective as springs for the whole bike. As Wildcat indicated above, they made for some unsure handling situations in the rough.
There are a few varieties of them out there, and they're even making a comeback now with versions appearing again lately for threadless, I believe it's a gravel application. I have one similar to the middle one, but not quite the same. I haven't played with it much, but it looks like there is some adjustments to it, maybe the action could be tamed a bit...
shockstop-blog.jpg

I have something else too, never seen another set of these anywhere, not even pictures. Nobody has any information on them, they're a stem and bar combo with flex built into the bars.
164889-IMG-20210715-115138145.jpg
164887-IMG-20210715-115203267.jpg
164888-IMG-20210715-115141432.jpg

They're kinda strange to use, the stem is too short and the bend is too narrow, so I can't really get along with them. Maybe a layback post would give me space

It's from the experimental era of mountain biking. Suspension was in its infancy, and they were trying everything. As it turns out, just suspending the bars isn't as effective as springs for the whole bike. As Wildcat indicated above, they made for some unsure handling situations in the rough.
There are a few varieties of them out there, and they're even making a comeback now with versions appearing again lately for threadless, I believe it's a gravel application. I have one similar to the middle one, but not quite the same. I haven't played with it much, but it looks like there is some adjustments to it, maybe the action could be tamed a bit... View attachment 226590
I have something else too, never seen another set of these anywhere, not even pictures. Nobody has any information on them, they're a stem and bar combo with flex built into the bars.View attachment 226592View attachment 226593View attachment 226591
They're kinda strange to use, the stem is too short and the bend is too narrow, so I can't really get along with them. Maybe a layback post would give me space
Crazy. Love em👌

Latest posts

Back