h2o2 patina method des anyone know this process

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well i got a customer who wants me to create a patina on an older car he has.
i was gonna do the h2o2 treatment but i had a few questions first.
i do not wanna destroy the gentleman's car so i will need to know what strength i would need to do it effectively without causing damage.
the next question is where can i buy h202 that's strong enough to do this?
what grade would it need to be?
is there a safer more environmental friendly way to do this?
any info would be appreciated
Sean

Did his car get a cut or are you trying to lighten her color?
H2o2 is hydrogen peroxide.
If you are looking too rust, wouldn't salt water work better?
I have always read how to remove patina! Not add it! :)

Did his car get a cut or are you trying to lighten her color?
H2o2 is hydrogen peroxide.
If you are looking too rust, wouldn't salt water work better?
I have always read how to remove patina! Not add it! :)
heya mike
yeah the same thing with me on that.
I too feel the salt water method would be more effective then the h2o2 method as well as safer.
the car eh wants me to do is actually painted really nice.
it kinda breaks my heart to do that to such a beauty, but a client is a client.
from what he is explaining i would have to remove the patina with aircraft grade stripper, then do the effect over bare metal. then clearcoat it to prevent further rusting.

If you are Trying something new. Try it on your own car not someone elses car.
Patina is a Damaged Finish. Caused by Sun, Rock Dings and Chips. ( on my items anyway).
Good Luck.
i so agree with you there bro.
i am doing s few mthodds on some different emtals i have to see which works best before i do the job.
I always liek to have a few samples to show potential clients when i do such a job, that way he knows what to expect from me.
i also agree on patina taking time to create. i am thinking he is referring to faux patina and i am gonna do a sample of my faux patina and see if that is an option he would want to do.
i have done faux patina with paint and bits of shaved metal inside it to cause the rust effect, and to make it look like it has been sitting.
we shall see what i come up with
thanks for the info guys i appreciate it.
Sean

heya mike
yeah the same thing with me on that.
I too feel the salt water method would be more effective then the h2o2 method as well as safer.
the car eh wants me to do is actually painted really nice.
it kinda breaks my heart to do that to such a beauty, but a client is a client.
from what he is explaining i would have to remove the paint with aircraft grade stripper, then do the effect over bare metal. then clear coat it to prevent further rusting.

Mix up some white vinegar and peroxide. It forms peracetic acid, an organic compound that is FDA approved as a disinfectant. Sometimes I add some salt in as well. It works really fast, and is relatively safe. I use it a lot and have had no problems with it. It's common practice with all acid-based patinas to neutralize them with baking soda in water after you have achieved the desired effect.

Mix up some white vinegar and peroxide. It forms peracetic acid, an organic compound that is FDA approved as a disinfectant. Sometimes I add some salt in as well. It works really fast, and is relatively safe. I use it a lot and have had no problems with it. It's common practice with all acid-based patinas to neutralize them with baking soda in water after you have achieved the desired effect.
i like this idea.
sounds liek the method i will use.
thanks for the heads up rockit!
sean

When I was toying with the idea of putting some FAKE rust on my newest "project bike" I stumbled across a YouTube video of a guy using this peroxide/vinegar/salt method on a Honda Civic that he'd taken down to the bare metal.

You can actually see the oxidation start just a few seconds after he sprays the solution on, and in a half hour the sprayed portions are covered in bright orange rust! I'm guessing that it will darken with time and more moisture, but it IS kind of amazing to watch it happen on-camera.

I'd post a link, but the running commentary contains language that is "NSFW" (or "PG-13" in the US) -- but a little creative Googling should find it!

Latest posts

Back