Happy Thanksgiving

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're still having Turkey even though we harvested these yesterday. At the moment I would have to say that beside my family, steady employment and a roof over my head I'm thankful for Grampa's double barrel, a good (but tired) dog and game to harvest. I am fortunate. Best Thanksgiving wishes to all!
P1011113A.jpg

btw got another one this morning. That dog jumped into an icy pond to retrieve it. Freds his name, birds are his game.

Very nice. I am going out Friday for some pheasant. Hopefully I will be lucky as you. My pup is a year old and doing awesome in pointing the birds. I started using a side by side this year and really like it.

Thanks for the compliments folks. Good luck to you Cman. In my opinion there is NOTHING more exciting than a pointer locked up, pointing a bird. Especially when you can't see the bird at first. I've found the best thing to do then is look at the dogs eyes and see where he's focused. My first few unsuccesful years I hunted with a rescued shelter mutt and a single shot. The mutt was more interested in squirrels than birds. While there is nothing wrong with single shots a second chance is a nice option. I've been experimenting this season with #7 low brass in the first barrel and #6 high brass for the second shot. I bought that side by side from my Uncle, it was my grandfathers. He died when I was 2 so I never knew him but I left the original beat up stock on the gun for tradition. With that gun Uncle John also sold me his J.C. Higgins bolt action 12 ga., an unusual old gun. Both for $150! Here's a pic with my 1963 Winchester 94 my dad bought for me prior to a deer hunting trip we made in 1980.
P1011115.jpg

P1011117.jpg

Excuse my blabbin' but I could talk about bird hunting all day!
How about a 'Show us yer' guns' thread?

I have seen another Bolt action shotgun like that, it was a Higgins too. The Model 94 is cool. I would like to get a lever action someday. My friend picked up a Model 94 from a guy whose family had it since 1896. It is a .33 Centerfire, the first necked down casing.

Vintage firearms are always cool. Today I'm thankful for marinara sauce and my prilosec. Pheasant McNuggets, not available at McDonalds.
P1011123.jpg

Latest posts

Back