Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The evolution of an idea...
Harlequin Deuce, a Columbia tandem clown bike that was never finished... Let's turn it into a Burrito... no let's turn it back into a decent tandem... Let's pull the old black Huffy tandem out of the rafters and turn it into a burrito...
So here's a pic from a while ago, my starting point.
0718141720a1.JPG

Here's a virtual mockup I did in Paint.net
Huffy B&W.jpg

It's still in the rafters now.
I'll pull it down for a new pic tomorrow.

Carl.

Last edited:
Gee your as bad as me with trying to make your mind up.... Lol lets see what it will be or not to be?

Your design looks great... that frame looks made for it.
Love the concept. Looks like a great frame to do that with.
Thanks guys. Googling Burrito Bike images will show at least one build utilizing this style of frame. So it's not quite as far fetched as it might seem. Of course I'll have to do my own take on it... Fun thing though, one of the bikes has a set of underslung apehangers mounted exactly like I did on ALiEN FiRE...I was surprised to see it!

Carl.

Those Burrito's sure are butt scrappers, sorry for a newbie question
but the name Burrito, as in bikes, comes from what????
Great question and I asked myself the same thing a while back. So I went digging and found an answer HERE right on our own site...
I will share that I have a dislike for pedal scrapers, so the pedal/crank layout I come up with will definitely clear the ground. But part of being a Burrito is not worrying if the bottom of the frame scrapes a bit.
There are actually a couple of other threads burrito related...
HERE and HERE enjoy and dig in! Burritos for everyone!

Carl.

So moving along the evolution line this was the original idea, Harlequin Deuce...
Harlequin Deuce concept.jpg

I got the eccentric wheels built, haha what a hoot,
but never really got the Deuce finished.
KIMG0057.jpg

So I thought I'd build a burrito with the frame.
This was the plan. The Black Burrito.
Harlequin%20Deuce%20conceptv4.jpg

Well, upon reflection this was just too good of a frame to chop up, and I had another one...
So I made the decision to cut the Huffy.
Huffy B&W.jpg

This is where I'm at today, and again I've got some ideas... springer fork flip. air bladder tank, full rear fender with spur, Colson style rear steering and I've got to put some kind of crazy bars on there. So, there we go, I've got a drawing, some ideas and 3 months to put it all together...

Carl. :eek:

Last edited:
The starting point as it sits today.
3b29351ef1c2e3f060d451a22e35738b.jpg
522b47a19b79d588b97f636b8d606863.jpg

I haven't decided if I want to keep the lowrider style 72 spoke rims...I do like the red wall bricks tho.

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Hmmm, if you cut out the rear bottom bracket and welded in a front fork and then extended the canti rails, had them meet with some slick custom drop outs, that would look pretty darn cool. Also, if you're using a spur on the fender, definitely go with the 72 spoke wheel set, heck throw some Mexican blanket on the seat, go all out. You've got me kicking myself for giving away my tandem frame when I moved.

I used front forks on the back of this some years ago...

Mantis_1.jpg

Mantis_2.jpg

I agree that the look is pretty cool.

Glen.

I've got a couple ideas for the rear.
One, cut the twin tubes behind the BB and extend
Huffy B&W v2.jpg

or Two, use a rear clip from a MTB (I have 2)
much like the red virtual mock up earlier...

I'm really more concerned with the forks and the rear steer as mocked up above.

Carl.

Could maybe bend some small tubing or round stock to match contours of the frame, and make connecting rods out of them.
Yep that was going to be the first choice. Great minds...

At the other end I'm going to try taking the schwinn style springer apart at the bottom of the head tube and putting about 6 inches of steel "something" in there to throw the forks ends farther forward and up. I'm thinking a pair of identical wrenches would look cool, may have to beef it up a bit, put a section of tubing in there to hold it apart (it's in the last drawing that way) It's all theory right now, my bike shop is a cabinet shop again. Building a bar for a client.
KIMG0331.JPG
KIMG0332.JPG

But if you look top center of the second pic, you can sort of see the tandem hanging forks forward so I can tinker with it.

Carl.

At the other end I'm going to try taking the schwinn style springer apart at the bottom of the head tube and putting about 6 inches of steel "something" in there to throw the forks ends farther forward and up.
Carl.

I instantly thought wrenches too as I read this, would be cool to find some of those old S curved wrenches for it.

Latest posts

Back