Have you ever heard about this?!? Bacon grease VS Rust

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my readers left this comment on my blog: "Thanks for all the great information! Quick question, the other day I was trowing out a paper towel slathered with bacon grease from a frying pan. On my way past my brand new, $20 Craigslist bike (was brand new 20 yrs ago and stored in a basement, what a sweet deal!) I dabbed the chain twice and rear sprocket once with a lil of the grease. I thought that's dumb and wiped it off. The next day out for I ride I stopped at a park and noticed the whole works looked brand new and the oil deeply penetrated. The only information I can find is using animal grease is to be sure to use unsalted. Have you ever heard of this?" Have any of you tried this? Could it be that bacon has another use apart from being tasty? I can tell you this, I'm trying it out this Sunday after breakfast.

Makes some sense for the short term. I wonder what the long term use will be. No different than using bear grease/ deer tallow on boots (not me but old timers)

Just be careful of Dogs chasing you down the street.

I was going to say something about using assorted animal fat on my leather boots, but was beat to it. I have no idea if it would work on a long term basis, but it could make for an interesting experiment for low budget grease removal.

Back