Having trouble getting headset cups out...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Usually this is not a problem, I just use a long screwdriver or drift punch, and wack the inside of the cup till it pops out of the head tube.

But my current B.O. bike has a stepped down inner diameter in the head tube, and I can't get the screwdriver blade onto the cup edge. So I can't pound it out from the inside. And I can't think of another option.

Unfortunately, the outside of the cup is angled, so pounding it off from the outside doesn't work. Things just slip right off (I tried a large open end wrench).

any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Try striking the cup with a wood block and hammer on an almost straight but downward angle. Maybe it will loosen enough for a screwdriver to finish.

I have had luck with the hammer technique. Work one side, then the other. Alternate until it comes out.

When I get some garage time I'll let you guys know if any of these suggestions work. Thanks to all. I can't wait to give these ideas a try.

I kinda had the same thought. Unless you were going to change to others. A quick
tape to cover them up would let your do most anything to the frame and not
bother them. Heck wrap them with duct tape and you could sandblast the frame.

I may have to do that. I've never had to leave them installed. Didn't want to start now.

Maybe I'm a huge nerd, but I like to use the proper tools for these things:
park-rt-2_004.jpg

Still, if this is a very old/crusty frame, you might be best off just leaving them in place, as others have mentioned.

That tool may have worked. But I ended up leaving them in. Partly because not painting the bike, just leaving it rusted.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I need to get that tool though.

It's quit helpful. I use it to knock out american BB cups, too. My friends always wanna borrow it; i let them, but they gotta use it while i'm still there, so i can take it home afterwards. I don't wanna lose it.

I see theyve got one for both headset and bb cups, would the bb cup remover fit through a headtube to kill 2 birds with one tool ?

Latest posts

Back