Hawthorne frankenbike. Frame ID?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this. I'm wondering if I anyone can identify who made the frame, or what year it was.
There's a number under the BB;
24SN

:?:

6786353725_d87234b4b6_z.jpg

6786353567_5296abb450_z.jpg

6786353819_507b96df2f_z.jpg

6786353371_6f28f6468a_z.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I saw another thread where someone guessed that the smaller number might have been the year reversed. (ie, 24SN would be built in 42, but I think this is only speculation.)

Hawthorne bicycles were mainly made by either CWC and H.P. Snyder (makers of Rollfast), and it doesn't look like a CWC frame, perhaps an H.P> Snyder. I'm guessing its early to mid 40's. Good luck.

I was gonna guess an elgin or westfield/columbia, but I remember doing research about Hawthornes (I have a 64' also h.p. built girl's bike for my wife) when I got mine and the two biggest names were CWC, which has way different frame lines and of course H.P. Snyder. Glad I could help. Really is a cool looking bike and with the trusses and rear wheel tensioners (and skiptooth drivetrain) i'm guessing 40's. Any stampings on the coaster brake hub?

No, it's a frankenbike. The wheels are dropcenters pulled off of my '48 DX. The seat isn't original either, and neither are the handlebars, or maybe even the fork.

ruddigger said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I saw another thread where someone guessed that the smaller number might have been the year reversed. (ie, 24SN would be built in 42, but I think this is only speculation.)
Most likely is a 42 Snyder built. Phil found some complete bikes with features that dated them to specific years, I think 1940 and 41. And the frames were stamped 04 and 14. So it's pretty much a given on late prewar frames. I suggested that it seems to continue into the mid 50s. I've seen several early to mid 50s Hawthornes that appeared to be stamped the same way. But I don't have any absolute proof of that, so I leave it as my theory. -Adam

Back