Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone came by my house this evening with two bikes that were in a scrapyard. I am officially the crazy bike lady of my town when people start randomly showing up at my house with old rusty bikes. One is a Hawthorne sold by Montgomery Ward. The other is a Raleigh Sports with a Brooks saddle that is crusty and dried out but no rips so I was wondering how I could clean it up and what to use to soften the leather and make it come back to life somewhat.
1wJhzsO.jpg

O9ovmhH.jpg

f5nVvEz.jpg

UnxsQ2r.jpg

Vst5Rk7.jpg

I am officially the crazy bike lady of my town when people start randomly showing up at my house with old rusty bikes.
:41: You have achieved the holy grail of the bike hobbiest... :thumbsup:

Luke.

The Brooks B72 saddle looks good, notice how there's no damage around the rivets. I think it will be fine after some treatment. I would use a moisturizing hand lotion, but I'm cheap. There are products made just for that kind of leather that will get it back in good shape.

The Hawthorne is a Rollfast (Snyder) made bike. The forks look like they are bent forward, as if they may have been bent back after hitting something. I would look at them closely to see if there's a crack at the crown.

I just noticed another problem with the Hawthorne. The seat tube is bent. Step through frames are susceptable to that from design. All the stress is right in the middle where the downtube connects and any collision may bend it, making it hard to ride.

Thanks. I will have someone take a closer look at it. I guess I better not try to ride it since I seem susceptible to colliding with things like poles and such . :blackeye:

Agreed, that is a cool head tube reflector. I had not noticed it until itisfreeitsforme mentioned it in his post.

I guess the only issue with being dubbed a CBL (Crazy Bike Lady) or CBD (Crazy Bike Dude) is running out of space for all the free bikes. But I believe most of us on the forum love free bikes and you got two with some great potential there. Besides it looks like you still have a fair amount of space yet.:)

Latest posts

Back