Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I got this men bike, interested to identify the year (period) of fabrication
s.n. B 74695

and the ladies bike, no head badge, looks Hawthorne, too
s.n. C 57813

what about this Wald basket, is it prewar? Coming from the men bike

What parts are not original, on the bikes?
thanks, Marius

Agreed, both CWC bikes. The rear fender and rear wheel look like replacements on the men's bike. Fenders should be peaked on both those bikes. The lady's bike has a replacement seat. I'd say late 40's also, as the fender braces aren't curved.

Thanks guys.
Any site to identify the year after the s.n.?

Agreed, both CWC bikes. The rear fender and rear wheel look like replacements on the men's bike. Fenders should be peaked on both those bikes. The lady's bike has a replacement seat. I'd say late 40's also, as the fender braces aren't curved.

like this one?

Should I change the wheels from the ladies to the boys?
What about the bars? Which are the original one?
Where can I find pictures of the bikes?
Any tanks on bikes?

Thanks guys.
Any site to identify the year after the s.n.?
No, they didn't have a known listing of serial numbers to show the year, as far as anyone knows. The year of the bike is usually determined by the features. The men's bike is what is referred to as a 3 gill frame, that's why I think it's late 40's. There may be small differences that narrow down the year even more.
Look up posts by rms37 here, lots of good info on CWC bikes, he has more knowledge about CWC than any other I've read.
I'm now wondering if both are replacement fenders on the men's, I don't remember seeing a CWC fender with a ducktail. If it's not peaked, it isn't CWC I think. I wouldn't worry about switching wheels, as you've got 2 complete bikes that are rideable. Your handlebars and handlebar stems look original on both bikes. The men's seat looks newer.

No, they didn't have a known listing of serial numbers to show the year, as far as anyone knows. The year of the bike is usually determined by the features. The men's bike is what is referred to as a 3 gill frame, that's why I think it's late 40's. There may be small differences that narrow down the year even more.
Look up posts by rms37 here, lots of good info on CWC bikes, he has more knowledge about CWC than any other I've read.
I'm now wondering if both are replacement fenders on the men's, I don't remember seeing a CWC fender with a ducktail. If it's not peaked, it isn't CWC I think. I wouldn't worry about switching wheels, as you've got 2 complete bikes that are rideable. Your handlebars and handlebar stems look original on both bikes. The men's seat looks newer.

thanks for all info

Since both your bikes appear to be post war, this is my semi-educated interpretation of your serial numbers:
If there is a "w" inside a "C" off to the right of the serial number, both bikes were built in 1947.
If there is an "AC" with a "w" inside the "C" off to the right of the serial number, both bikes were built in 1949.

I agree about the fenders not being correct on the boys bike. Also, that looks to be a Huffman chainring.
But, as I've been told before, "This is RRB, and not the CABE", so, you'll have to excuse my "correctness".;)

Here's a thread from the CABE that has tons of useful info from Phil Marshall, regarding serial numbers:
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...S-N-Project/page5&highlight=ACW+serial+number

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back