Head Badge Removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a late 40's Hiawatha I am painting. I need to remove the headbadge. It has the cool round bubbled-out rivets holding it on.. What is the best way to detach it so I can paint the bike and can I re-attache it using the original rivets?

take a boxed end wrench (i use a 9/16) the straighter the better, with the fork out of the bike, use the side of the boxed end to push the "rivet" out from the backside, youll have to push the end of the wrench sticking out of the headtube against the opposite side (towards the rear of the frame, when the pin is pushed flush with the inside on the headtube there should be enough wiggle room to grab the pin from the outside and wiggle it the rest of the way out (i use a small pair of side cuts). theyll hammer right back in too.

CCR said:
take a boxed end wrench (i use a 9/16) the straighter the better, with the fork out of the bike, use the side of the boxed end to push the "rivet" out from the backside, youll have to push the end of the wrench sticking out of the headtube against the opposite side (towards the rear of the frame, when the pin is pushed flush with the inside on the headtube there should be enough wiggle room to grab the pin from the outside and wiggle it the rest of the way out (i use a small pair of side cuts). theyll hammer right back in too.

Cool. Thats what I started doing but because I didn't want to screw anything up. I will continue with this route. Thanks!

If pushing them out from the inside doesn't work...and if you have real steady hands...cut a slot for a small screwdriver in the head and unscrew them...and if you don't want to use the rivets again, I tap the holes and use stainless button head allen screws to hold it on. Hardware and taps are usually available cheap from R/C hobby stores...I like to swap headbadges once in a while so this makes it real pain free and simple...

Latest posts

Back