Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am scratching my head on this bike a little…..

Japanese company, (Bridgestone: American sounding name) Japanese warrior face for a head badge…. Cool….

bike model name: “La Veloz”, which is SPANISH for “The Fast” or “The Quick”

definitely a lot of international influence on this thing!!!!

Last edited:
The Japanese founders name ( Ishibashi ) translates to stone bridge. Many Asian companies have to come up with names foreigners can understand and use. And they have to deal with copy righted names in many countries. Matsuhita used National and Panasonic at various times. And the countless business mergers means many changed names often. The Bridgestone takeover of Firestone helped both companies to continue.

This is a great photo from the flickr head badge group. Slightly different coloring/lighting really makes the red pop.

When I bought my early 80's Nishiki Sebring the CL seller assured me that the front fork was fine. I traveled to San Jose because the bike was a 69cm frame and he only wanted $35 for the bike. Should have known, after traveling all that distance the front fork had a dimple on one of the legs. I bought it and brought it home even though I couldn't ride it. A year later while looking through e bay bicycle ads I noticed a picture of a really tall headtube on a fork that was being sold. I bought that fork, from Chicago, and it is a Kabuki fork from before the lawyer lips rule. It fit perfectly. So now I ride a NishKabuk. I love the Kabuki headbadge, way better than the Nishiki decal I have.

When I bought my early 80's Nishiki Sebring the CL seller assured me that the front fork was fine. I traveled to San Jose because the bike was a 69cm frame and he only wanted $35 for the bike. Should have known, after traveling all that distance the front fork had a dimple on one of the legs. I bought it and brought it home even though I couldn't ride it. A year later while looking through e bay bicycle ads I noticed a picture of a really tall headtube on a fork that was being sold. I bought that fork, from Chicago, and it is a Kabuki fork from before the lawyer lips rule. It fit perfectly. So now I ride a NishKabuk. I love the Kabuki headbadge, way better than the Nishiki decal I have.
I thought you rode a varsity!!!! 😂

I’d love to see pics of the NishKabuk!!!

I thought you rode a varsity!!!! 😂

I’d love to see pics of the NishKabuk!!!
Varsity is going through a repaint right now. I had it powder coated and it is beautiful. I have never painted anything as well as this shop did. I'm going to start a thread shortly on this repaint. I own 3 diamond frames of 66cm up to 69cm. I also own a Ryan Vanguard recumbent. My NishKabuk broke a drive side spoke on the Vuelta SL37 wheel. This is a very aero aluminum rim wheel with 16 steel spokes. After putting 1500 miles on this wheelset I believe some of the drive side spokes loosened causing one spoke to break. Steel spokes are stronger than like size stainless steel spokes but as we all know they rust. This is a straight pull spoke that is also flattened and is only available from China. I'm still waiting for the boat to pull in with my spokes to repair it. Below is a picture of my 67cm blue 1981 Schwinn Sports Tourer and my 69cm NishKabuk. That is the original paint and as you can see the fork is the original Kabuki color. The two paints are OK together so I'm OK with it. The Varsity is back from the painters and this is a glimpse of the frame on the Job Cart. Sorry for the long winded post.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.MOV
    7.9 MB
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I was scabbing the wheels off this thing today and, dang! This thing has some cool features!

It had these little tire cleaner things on there….. never seen anything like these before
96809715-B275-4871-B8B3-1732727D8E8A.jpeg
022FC936-0910-4B2F-90FF-EA63CF1AAA6D.jpeg
D1F22FF7-7652-4029-9F26-2FB648532413.jpeg

Then it has these cool brake locks on there! Not sure why you want to permanently lock your brakes, but this thing does it!!!!
F541878D-2B6E-4145-A935-74822802B73A.jpeg
05451E22-FEE5-4F47-A792-9CA3FF6EA006.jpeg

I was scabbing the wheels off this thing today and, dang! This thing has some cool features!

It had these little tire cleaner things on there….. never seen anything like these before
View attachment 216833View attachment 216834View attachment 216835

Then it has these cool brake locks on there! Not sure why you want to permanently lock your brakes, but this thing does it!!!!
View attachment 216836View attachment 216837
Not wanting to reveal my age those tire cleaners from the 70's or so were designed to knock off a glass/metal/thorn before the tire got a complete revolution. This hopefully would keep it from getting driven through the tire and causing a flat. The brake locks are actually meant to open your brake caliper arms just enough to get inflated wheels on or off the bike. There are several variations on these types of devices all meant to make it easier to get your wheels on and off the bicycle. Very nice bicycle.

Meh…. $20. Couldn’t resist

I was actually looking for a 26” wheel Schwinn, and this was advertised as 26”, but it’s not! lol

It was like 15 minute drive…. I didn’t want to go back empty handed, so I just got it: I’ll salvage something out of this

SN says June of ‘74. (I think!)
E78804CF-8538-443C-A7CD-0004D33E59A8.jpeg
9A292AA6-F5BA-4F8F-B8A9-9CB2421E6B82.jpeg
B290F4AB-37AB-4CEA-B4D3-8C04283003EC.jpeg
2CDCA4FA-42BD-4D93-9146-CD410E78845A.jpeg
20014C05-D0E9-44B6-BCEB-5185506C6D00.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep…. 100%. - 27 x 1 1/4”, which isn’t all bad I guess.

I did some research after I got it….. I thought some of the older suburbans may have had the Schwinn S6 26” wheels.

I guess all years suburbans had 27 x 1 1/4“ tires.

-as discussed, the seller advertised the bike as having 26” wheels. -I asked them to please confirm before I left to get it, and they confirmed it was 26” wheels. I‘m not sure if the seller was clueless or intentionally misled me.

the front tire clearly has the size on it. No biggie…. I’ll find a use for the parts or clean it up and flip it.

I stumbled across this thing on eBay.

It wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, but it has some epic patina and wasn’t too expensive: Freight really adds up on those deals, but…I did ok

Maybe put this on the ‘33 straight bar bike this summer? I’d actually like to do one of those Schwinn’s I got from 500 bike Bruce and do a manta ray tribute bike.

We’ll see

I’m sure it doesn’t work, so it needs gutted

The lens looks good though
602DA710-84D0-4054-BB13-00B5BC96D4F3.jpeg
B11ED7A0-9E50-49B1-82F9-FC2BFBFF7395.jpeg
2A6BBCD2-5C1B-41C9-AA6A-A751F8EBE1B5.jpeg

This is an old school bumper mount headlight/spotlight from yesteryear. I used to see these everywhere during the late 50's and early 60's. Brings back fond memories. I'll bet that thing weighs as much as your bikes entire front end. The good thing is you'll not be able to bend that bracket arm if you dump your bike.

The seller specializes in tractor and bulldozer parts…. They had no idea what it was off of! Thought it could have been a moline tractor or caterpillar bulldozer.

The bus part may be a good angle: that bracket is STOUT!!!!

I’m going to throw it outside and let it ‘ripen up’ with patina then tear it apart later this year to see what’s inside

It does look like it may have worked not too long ago as the lens and what I can see of the reflector are in excellent condition.

You’re probably right about the caterpillar because it’s the wrong color for a Ford. Of course lots of stuff gets repainted in standard equipment colors. I worked for an equipment rental yard, and when they repainted their equipment it was always yellow.

Last edited:
We’ll…. I guess it’s that time of year if you live up north!

The pastor at my church had a rough holiday season and ended up in the hospital with RSV.

His doctor told him he needed to start exercising and to start with stretching and some sit-ups. Our priest said ‘what’s a sit-up?’. Doctor said ‘just get an exercise bike and start moving around!’

Enter Jude! Picked this up off of CL as a belated Christmas gift!

a few surprises like the strap broken on the pedal, but other than that, pretty fair deal for $40!

We’ll see if we can get his butt in shape!

C5E49EF7-888A-4CA7-A3D5-62A4D392498C.jpeg
25BDB13B-ECD4-4F0D-8AA6-9C713C9967BC.jpeg
3309ACF0-077D-4627-99EA-F34400FDF75B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back