Headset help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all- did my best to search for answers on here first but here I am.

I'm struggling to know which headset I need for this frame. Inner diameter seems to be ~33mm, or ~1 1/4" (seems like an odd size... was expecting 1 1/8") The steerer tube of the fork is 1". My plan was to buy a headset reducer to allow me to use a 1" threadless headset and 1" steerer fork.

Anyone try this before? Or am I way off? Some pics below to help show what I'm working with. Any input appreciated!

IMG-0639.jpg

IMG-0638.jpg

Hmmm.......

You could try a 32.5 cup set and shim it or try a Wald 4080 set. Iirc that's why it has the three little nubs on the head tube interface

I see where this is common on older Worksman frames, tandems, etc

I actually did it on my Huffman. I’m running an 80’s Raleigh BMX cruiser fork. It’s solid so far and I’ve put a few hundred (trail and off-road) miles on the tank so far. If you zoom in, you can barely see the black anodized shims at the top and bottom of the headtube.

7182AE32-90D7-454F-B6D2-1A247FB2CA88.jpeg

Here’s a link for the pork chop website:
Headset Adapter

thank you both!

@RonK that's what I'm going for! thanks! What headset are you using there?
It’s an old YST Kōr 200. It’s an oddball, which is what I liked about it. It’s got a locking screw on the top bolt/cap. It’s worked well so far!
690D1675-E371-478D-A893-89847821856F.jpeg

6520789A-2F15-43A8-9AAB-5E47498849D3.jpeg

Cheapest way, use a 32.5, tighten down the headset in the fork until it won’t turn and tack weld the cups to the head tube. I’ve done this, let the next guy swear at the previous owner as he saws off the tacks. Ha, ha. I’ve also used my headset reamer to expand a 32.5 to 34 or for 1 1/8. Then changed the fork. These old American frames usually have enough meat to do this. Make sure the 1 1/8 fork tube fits in the head tube. I have the reamer, they are expensive, perhaps a shop can do this for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back