Headsets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a headset that fits in the 1 1/2'' 16ga. tubing I use. They measure 33.44mm id
I have had a bunch but through the builds they are almost gone. I need some more.
There use to be a site that had pictures and measurements on all the bearing cups
he sold. Anybody got a clue to where to find cheap ones. Pyramid or sunlite will work
but I don't know which ones will fit without a measurement and the ones they give
don't match what I have. Mine use the larger balls in the bearings....Help

Well then your better at Googleing than the rest of us. I use a 1'' threaded.
I looked through Sheldon's site and there wasn't much on it. I will head to the
LBS today and see what he can come up with. I'm not sure if the big recession
might have shut that site down.

Turns out the headset is the same as one from a Worksman 1''. Went to Ind-Chuckz's company and
got two cups and the # 52 bearings for $10. So now I have a source...problem solved. :lol:

Never new that there was a different headset size besides the JIS 1" and Bmx/Schwinn 1". Worksman has there own. Wald has a cheapie that would work. But sounds like it adds 3 bumps to their standard headset to make up the larger size.

1- No, the headset is NOT a "normal" 1". It's one of several, older-style US "standards." Basically, the headtube is much wider diameter than the smaller ones. Even most "BMX"-sized 1" headsets (which are 32.5mm OD at the skirts) will be a loose fit in a Worksman. (I put a BMX-sized Chris King in on one of my Worksmen, but I had to shim it.) Best bet is to use an OEM Worksman headset, but the Wald #4080 will fit, too. Seems like really old schwinns took the same size, but later schwinns seem to be 32.5mm.
-1a- I havent tried it yet, but Genuine Bicycle Products sells a 1 1/8" threadless headset designed to work with these headtubes. If you went that route, you could run a modern 1 1/8" threadless fork and stem on your worksman. Speaking of stems, if you are using the original fork, you'll need a 21.1mm (aka, 13/16") quill stem. This basically means old-skool or old-skool-style BMX threaded stems, Wald stems, or vintage stems. The modern 22.2mm quills found on most contemporary 1" threaded bikes (and many bikes from the 70s) will not fit without modification.

Yeah he had the wald ones with the three bumps on them. I must have been lucky
because I had probably 15 sets of the cups that fit. I use to strip out old bikes I found
and keep all the headsets. I have used them up in the last few years. A woman's silver king
had the same size as the worksman. I can go with a thicker 1 1/2'' tubing , like maybe 12 gauge
and the smaller ones will fit. Or have a friend lathe me some press fit sleeves to make them work.
Or at $10 a set just buy a few to have. I like that they fit that 14ga tubing perfect. Then you don't
need a jig to build a frame. Just lay all the 1 1/2'' tubing on something flat and tack it together.

Click on the picture to see video

Latest posts

Back