Headtube help and i.d.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need a little help with this frame. first off it has one of those oddball size headtubes which doesnt allow a 1in. threaded headset, does anyone know what size headset this uses? and second any help with the id of this bike would be great. thanks
DSCN0829.jpg

its a murray made frame, they use an odd size if i remember right. nothing from my lbs fit mine until i stole some cups from another murray.

as far as the brand, murray, sears, hiawatha ... maybe others too.

i think the serial # would be needed to figure out what bike it originally was. im pretty sure the first letter of the serial should match the first letter of the brand name ... not 100% on that though.

try a bmx headset or a used schwinn headset- the frame cup diameter is larger than a modern road or mountain bike headset even though the steerer tube threads are the same.

looks like a murray frame and yes you can use a 1" bmx headset, (same as schwinn) its larger than 1" but smaller than 1 1/8"

Not even all the old BMX headsets will work, make sure the cup size is 32.7mm, I find some were slightly smaller more like 32.5 still may work but just slightly loose not like the 30.2 mm cups that come with most 1" headset though. Nice thing is you don't need to press-in.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

I have a few murrays, and they do seem yo use their own size... kinda frustrating... And that is a murray for sure. I've got an extra cup(half of a set. not an extra pair) that you could have, or I could mic it out for you if you want...

Back