Heavy Duti Serial #

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I dragged this Schwinn Heavy Duti home today. Pretty original except tires. Fork may be tweaked just a little. I tried to look up the serial #, and the lookup tool said not found. The 1965 list only goes to MA83412, and my # is MA90003. Any thoughts?
20161009_204136.jpg
20161009_204230.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    99.1 KB
Notice in 66, the first numbers start on the 24th of January. Did the factory take a long vacation? In the early 60's work resumed after the holidays around the 7th to the 9th of January. But in 65 and 66, it's the 24th. After that it doesn't specify on the charts i'm using, just the month.
So, my guess is that they were building past the 30th of December, maybe in early 65 and 66, but didn't start the new year's number for some reason, so they kept using the previous sequence. Maybe because the new year brought a new model and they wanted to finish up all the parts for the last year's model. Or they had a ton of orders that couldn't be done in time for the end of the year.
Yours is probably a 65 model made in early January 1966. Just guessing. They were making about 3000 bikes a day then, so it would have been made the fourth extra day of production in January.

Nice complete bike with good paint!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back