Hellion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mounted the mudflap to the fender and capped it with an acorn nut. This bike has lots of them.
B542909F-2675-42E4-A897-7DE60321285C.jpeg

I’ve let a lot go but haven’t abandoned. How long is too long to keep something?
How long probably depends on how fixed in one place you are. I had to move from the UK to Poland, so most stuff had to go, no matter how long or short I had owned it. The good thing is that I no longer pay for storage, but I also buy less than I used to... ;)

Laid down that final coat of satin black this morning. Always a booger in the paint when painting outside. Oh well. When I do the complimentary colors they should cover up the minor blemishes. I think I'm putting scallops on top and bottom, then pin striping the front area with spider web design. Just thoughts at the moment.
25F8064E-E362-46DF-B253-BC471A13A21B.jpeg

Last edited:
Mocked up the rear of the Hellion, with the wheel tire set from my Hiawatha. I planned on using the tires. I realized that I will be unable to attach a brake caliper that will reach the rim. So, I will be making another mount that will attach to the sissy bar. I call it the “Sissy Brake” I did this on my first build off, (15) with the High Plains Drifter. Copper tubing fitted with and oak dowel in the middle. Split T couplers that attach via hose clamps. Sounds sketchy but it works well. And I like sketchy. Here is the first one I made.
F4D2193A-6575-4F49-A2B4-DBF4F4FFFB76.jpeg
AABA6B82-D29B-495F-99D2-744C4110E19B.jpeg

I had some time and just enough paint,
5ED103C9-B97E-4B1B-95D1-FFDA6EE10015.jpeg
to paint the fork arms to match the frame. It got pretty hot in Colorado today, so I brought the parts inside to cure the rest of the way. I’ll give it a few days the start reassembling the parts. Also working on finding the right fender. I had one mocked up with the mud flap, but it had a rather narrow width. The one mocked up now is from my Hiawatha. The next was from the 24” Cranbrook that was my winter build off bike (Blue Dream). The large tires fit rather well though the fender came from a smaller bike. Fender mounting clearance is the biggest obstacle to choosing the right fender.
02439BB4-E950-4EA9-B0E4-2050DBE55D9A.jpeg
A4BD8012-89D4-4944-94C9-1DCF4CA1BA8D.jpeg

Put down a coat of satin black paint from a rattle can that I’ve had around for quite a while. A couple boogers came out of the nozzle, so I’ll need to give it a wet sand and and another coat as well. Then some red and white painted graphics to finish it up. View attachment 200474View attachment 200475
Laid down that final coat of satin black this morning. Always a booger in the paint when painting outside. Oh well. When I do the complimentary colors they should cover up the minor blemishes. I think I'm putting scallops on top and bottom, then pin striping the front area with spider web design. Just thoughts at the moment. View attachment 200823
I'm impressed when I seen you molding foam I was skeptical. I figured it would look like well molded foam with paint on and it doesn't nice.

I'm impressed when I seen you molding foam I was skeptical. I figured it would look like well molded foam with paint on and it doesn't nice.
This Sculpture Block is great stuff! It sands pretty smooth and easy to carve. Next time I will make one with fiberglass and gel coat. It would be much tougher and take a beating. It is as firm as the body filler used. I have dinged it a couple of times and had to repair it. It does repair easily. I believe it as at least as tough as an original tank. Thanks for checking it out.

First mock up after laying the satin black paint down on the springer fork. I’m glad to not have to cut the threaded tube. Still need to work out some braking issues. The Hellion is sitting on the tires I want to use. 2.125’s. Still working out the wheels. The three speed hub plan may stop me in my tracks. Deadline getting close.
A8F2C958-CB5B-41B9-A132-BD3B45067B60.jpeg
6A427732-9B1C-4375-A90F-EF5AA9A2D1D0.jpeg
2DF66733-A3F5-4F45-98E8-7A77754376B3.jpeg
F0E665A7-A945-404C-BE1A-9A200E294D70.jpeg

Latest posts

Back