Hellion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drew some suggestions for 3X spoke pattern. Can't seem to get this to be a picture so it ended up a pdf. Hopefully it will work.
Thank you for that link! I think what we came up with is what we need. Everything seats much better and plenty of room to tighten nipples. Hopefully I will have it trued this week. Thanks for the help!

One thing that I found helps me is that, when I initially install the nipples, I index them all so that the spoke wrench will point the same direction every time I install it and turn it.

This makes it much easier to get exactly Half a turn or exactly a quarter turn on every spoke, because the spoke wrench always points the same angle when you start and stop.

Of course as you finish the truing they will all end up slightly different, but it’s much easier if they all start out the same.
Some good info I will have to remember. 🙏🏻Thanks!

I learned just recently how to lace a wheel. During the long lockdown. Now I've laced up dozens of them, but I don't true them up, I support the local bike shop and let them do it. Here it's only 5 bucks with a big tip included. It was 90 bucks back in Hawaii. I made a truing stand using the rear triangle from an old frame mounted to a piece of wood, but don't need it when I've got two guys who look forward to me showing up with a set of wheels. My latest set was a gold wheelset.
15 Jun scurf wheels.jpg

Now I buy up spokes and hubs when they go on sale. I have a small stockpile for projects now.
They sell spokes here by the wheel size, 20, 26, and 29. They don't understand when I ask for a certain size like 258mm. They just switch back and forth between 3 cross and 4 cross depending on the size of the hub and spoke placement. Then they use a hand grinder on the spoke ends if there's still some overhang.
I also have picked up used wheels and salvaged the spokes, as long as they are in good shape.

I learned just recently how to lace a wheel. During the long lockdown. Now I've laced up dozens of them, but I don't true them up, I support the local bike shop and let them do it. Here it's only 5 bucks with a big tip included. It was 90 bucks back in Hawaii. I made a truing stand using the rear triangle from an old frame mounted to a piece of wood, but don't need it when I've got two guys who look forward to me showing up with a set of wheels. My latest set was a gold wheelset.
View attachment 203553

Now I buy up spokes and hubs when they go on sale. I have a small stockpile for projects now.
They sell spokes here by the wheel size, 20, 26, and 29. They don't understand when I ask for a certain size like 258mm. They just switch back and forth between 3 cross and 4 cross depending on the size of the hub and spoke placement. Then they use a hand grinder on the spoke ends if there's still some overhang.
I also have picked up used wheels and salvaged the spokes, as long as they are in good shape.
Those are beauties! I think I got the lacing down. Now I’m excited to lace more. I have other 3 speed hubs that I look forward to mating to another wide rim.

Nice touch on the dice!

Tough day trying to get anything done. Drove to work without my wheel with me to go get trued. Stopped at McDonald’s for coffee and a breakfast sandwich (5:30am), and apparently a threaded bolt into my tire. Flop flop flop the rest of my way to work. At lunch I decided to pull the bolt out of the tire to see if it leaked. Luckily it hasn’t. It went in to the knobby and then sideways. Luckily my tires are 33’s and Kevlar. But I was sweating it since these particular tires are $800+ each. So I will try to get to One Stop tomorrow. A well known bike shop here with a massive collection of cool bikes. Can’t wait to be rolling!
ED4F29D1-2D90-4F86-A288-8BA23D2DF624.jpeg
7AAF67B7-C06B-4A6C-A3C9-6FDDDB022C69.jpeg

Latest posts

Back