Hello ALL!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm BIG BEN, I have an old Schwinn that I was given by my grandmother. It was originally purchased in a garage sale by my grandfather for my mother. It is in decent condition, solid and everything, but pars are missing and incorrect. I have had the bike for about five years now, and never got past the disassembly. So it is currently sitting in my basement, waiting for its transformation. I knew at one point what year the bike was, but i can't remember now. I know it is either 1952 or 1953. So it's a classic, I'm not sure of the model however. I thought it was a Tornado, but was never sure, it just didn't look exactly like anything else I came across.

Some more information on the bike: It is red, original paint with white pinstripes. It has the original Schwinn decals and badge. The seat might be original, might be newer. The handlebars are what I believe to be Fastback Rams Horns. It is a 26 inch bike, single speed and no flash. The fenders appear to be non-Schwinn. Oh yeah, the chainguard is missing as well.

Anyway I just happened to come to this site and thought it looked intriguing. So I signed up and hopefully there is a wealth of information for me to study and absorb. I always used to say as a kid that I wanted to build bikes for a living, I might have been exaggerating but I do want to build this bike.

-BIG BEN

Thanks, I definitely will post pictures. The bike is in a bunch of pieces right now though. I'm doing my research right now for the second time. Seems I didn't write anything down five years ago when I did the research the first time. I'm trying to figure out for sure what model my bike is. I found a bike in the gallery that looks to me like the same frame. I'm going to search the serial number now. :D

Ok so the serial number shows the bike being made in December 6-10 1952. Which makes it pretty much exactly 57 years old. 8) And in the main gallery the second bike in the second row of the second page looks like the same thing, and is a cool looking piece to boot.

WELCOME!......I'm not sure what the bike is. But the one you pointed out in the gallery, I believe belongs to "aka_locojoe".

Ahah! $uccess! I checked out aka_locojoe's website and found more pictures of that bike. And they confirmed my theory, the bike is definiteley a Tornado! I'm so amazed at how easy things become when there are people willing to help. So thanks again KOTA and aka_locojoe. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back