Hello from Brisbane

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day. 'Big Dave' here in Queensland Aus.
Sorry, I should have done an intro before - but I missed it in the old forum layout. Diggin' the new set up.

I've been riding an Electra Straight 8 pretty much every day for the last few years. Mostly to exercise my dog. He loves to run.
I actually call it the 'Long 8' as I've customized to suit me being quite tall. I ride it more regularly than my motorcycles.

tall872.jpg

I'm working on a new project currently and have been reading the seat post/ergos comments in a few threads with much interest.
This started life as an entry level Kona MTB:
kona2.jpg

But I have moved to Brisbane since I bought it more than 10 years ago and the knobbies and aggressive ergos really were out of place for where I live now.
I started toying with the idea of a more relaxed 29'er, but a few bucks converting this to a roadster has scratched that thousand dollar itch quite satisfactorily.
What I would like to to do next is get the seat back a bit, but everyone I've talked to says a Snake/BMX style seat post won't deal with my considerable bulk. So, any suggestions for a post that would get the seat a few inches aft? (Suitable for the larger gentleman :grin:)
I read a post about seeing a machine shop and having something made from billet - but that's probably harder work than the task deserves. Any advice or links appreciated. I've used my PH.D in google and surfed a bit, but found nada so far.

For work I write and take photos for a few motorcycle magazines and freelance as a graphic artist.
This is my (mainly) motorbike web site: http://www.davidcohen.co

Happy trails,
Dave.

Hey Big Dave!

Hello from down in Victoria! Not sure what the seat pole diameter is on that one, but if it matches a stock size of bar stock it would not be too hard to buy half a meter and heat it with an oxy torch to give it some layback.

Member "Slowriderz" on here makes custom solid layback posts too, very good prices but not sure what shipping from the US would set you back... Link here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...tposts-price-change.59700/page-27#post-777554

Just had a quick look at your site, looks pretty cool, will have a better look now...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back