Hello from Destin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bicycle rider & for the last 18 months or so, a builder or more of a rebuilder, but I like to make "improvements" when I rebuild them. Mostly into 20 to 30 year old road bikes with lugged steel frames. I developed a very strong hankering for a Pashley "Guvnor" the first time I saw one on the internet about two or so years ago, but could not see spending the $ for a new one - or a used one for that matter. So I started out to create something similar. Along the way, I've bought and sold about 15 to 20 bicycles and learned a lot about the mysteries of head sets, bottom brackets, index shifting, setting up canti brakes and the various compatibilities (and incompatiblities) of parts and other parts. I must have about 18 or so bikes in inventory now, but I keep loosing count. It's dangerous when the thrift store is on my way home from Church and the temptation is strong to go by there, just to look.....
I've rebuilt a couple of 80's "mountain" bikes from the bare frame. Made a great commuter out of an old FUJI Tahoe. Restored a 70's Raleigh Twenty although I don't know why because I don't like riding it. It looks cool though. My most rare bike is a 1976 Spalding Response 12 speed road bike. I found it with probably less than 100 miles on it with the whiskers still on the original dry rotted tires. Definitely not a high end bike, but it sure has a beautiful red lugged frame with a gold outline on the lugs. Then there's the cottered crank set and cloth handle bar tape...... It hangs from my ceiling waiting for me to figure out what to do with it.
And I still haven't got the Pashley look alike built yet, but there's a an old Nishiki (I think) frame waiting to be powder coated and built. Maybe I'll do it this year.
A lot of my professional work involves encouraging people to ride bicycles for transportation and providing the bike lanes and multi use trails so they can do that safely. I need to practice what I preach, so I've been using my bike(s) more and more for transportation as well as for exercise, and for fun.
Thansk to Anthony for telling me about this site. I think I'm gonna like it!

Latest posts

Back