Hello From IL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shawn here. Longtime lurker, first time...member. I just recently came across this site again after reading the latest issue of Kickstand magazine. So I thought, why not join? What intrigued me and really got me going was the Blank Canvas (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/?p=281) thread. More on that in a second.

I just moved back home (from the Chicago area) to mooch of the P's for a while as my unemployment benefits just ran out and still have yet to find a job. I am basically located between STL, MO and Springfield, IL, right on the banks of 'Old Man River'. Between online classes, adult swim marathons and replaying old PS3 games, I am getting the itch to do something. Preferably bicycle related. Alas, the only bike culture this town has are the local drunks, having been forced to ride instead of drive after getting a DUI, people to poor to afford a car and one old family run bike shop (I give it <5 years). I hope to change all that. I'm also an avid mt. biker, but that's for other websites. :p

Right now, my only connection to owning a rat rod is the Nirve Switchblade (single speed) chopper that I bought a few years ago as a commuter bike. The only mods I have done so far was to remove the fender (kept coming loose :( ), add a beer holder (cozy in a cage), and finally a wall mounted bottle opener (on a handlebar cage mount). (Yes, I'm careful. I don't overdo it when my life is potentially on the line. I also bought a pair of 25" ape hangers and tried them out once, but man does it take a while to get used to those!)

Back to the Blank Canvas thread. The local Mal*Wart does have the Cranbrook in stock, so I am thinking about starting there. Also, I will cruise around the local pawn shops (many) and thrift stores (a few) and see if I can find anything other than old Pacific and Next 'mt bikes'. I am also thinking about heading to a bike swap meet Jan 30th in STL, to see if there are any frames or parts there that I could grab. The first project I have in mind is the Cranbrook, redone in flat black with red rims, whitewall tires, smaller 'hangers and any other accessories I can find. Maybe a springer fork also. I haven't decided. Eventually I hope to work my way up to stretching/modding frames to maybe building or designing frames.

Every bike I have seen on here is AWESOME and an inspiration. Just reading around this website the last couple of days has been an information overload. So many helpful and knowledgeable people, crazy DIY tools and instructions and....wow. :D

I can't wait to get started on my first project and will keep everyone updated (if you care).

Shawn.

Here is my Nirve, with the apehangers installed. Sorry I'm in it, it won't stand up by itself with those things on it. And it's the only picture I have of it so far.

NirvewApeHangers.jpg

Note my Planet Bike light on the 'hangers. There's so much bar that I can run it on there with plenty of room.

Thanks! Beards and bikes have to stick together. Bearded bicyclists, well, we really have to band together as there are a few of us, but not too many.

I just checked out your Skelebike and forum decorum (hahaha) permits me from posting my actual reply, but it rhymes with moley spit! That thing is (deleted) awesome! I am in awe. And your skulls are pretty wicked, too. The artistic side of me can appreciate both on that level and the metal-head in me rocks out to them.
\m/
My hat is off to you sir. Any projects in the future? Or present?

WELCOME ! that will sertinly keep the armpitz dry on those long ridez 8)

Latest posts

Back