Hello from Portland, OR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all... my name is Corey, though most of my friends in Portland know me as LC. I'm 33 years old and living in Portland, Oregon, one of the finest bike towns I've ever had the pleasure of living in. I've been riding since I was 5 and have relied on bikes as primary transportation at one point or another in every city or town I've ever lived (Sacramento, CA to Plymouth,NH back to Sac then to Boston,MA to Santa Barbara,CA to LA,CA and finally to Portland where I hope to stick around for a while). I was big into BMX well into my 20s when I moved back to Cali to work in the industry and got snookered into mountain biking. Presently I commute 3-4 days by bike and bus on the others.

Which brings me to how I got here. My daily ride is a 2003 Electra Rat Rod, mostly stock with a few vanity mods, and it isn't exactly tailored to either of the hills I work or live on. I've got a MTB that would probably be better suited to the task if I slapped some road oriented tires on it, but the cruiser is more my personal style so I've been toying with either modding it up or building a new bike better suited to climbing and bombing the hills but still keeping a hot rod flavor. So I stumbled across this site and now have a billion ideas racing through my mind and figured I'd better join up.

I guess that's me in a nutshell. Here's my present stable of bikes: 1998 Dekerf Team SL, 2003 Electra Rat Rod, 1996 Standard STA
happyfamily.jpg

Welcome to the site!

I've got a MTB that would probably be better suited to the task if I slapped some road oriented tires on it, but the cruiser is more my personal style so I've been toying with either modding it up or building a new bike better suited to climbing and bombing the hills but still keeping a hot rod flavor

I've got a '91 Haro Impasse MTB I converted to a city commuter by putting slicks, a rear rack, and a much more comfortable touring seat on and I've been extremely happy with it, but the thing is BLAND!! Well-suited for any task, but not a lot of character. And when riding it I've noticed that nobody waves or smiles when you go by, not even other commuters, which is quite different from the experience of riding a cruiser.

We love looking at bike pics, but we also like looking at city pics and bike culture pics too, especially foreign cities. Portland's commitment to bikes is probably strong enough relative to any of the cities we live in to be considered "foreign". Feel free to post any if you have a chance!

Welcome!

GodHatesCleveland said:
I've got a '91 Haro Impasse MTB I converted to a city commuter by putting slicks, a rear rack, and a much more comfortable touring seat on and I've been extremely happy with it, but the thing is BLAND!! Well-suited for any task, but not a lot of character. And when riding it I've noticed that nobody waves or smiles when you go by, not even other commuters, which is quite different from the experience of riding a cruiser.
Yep, I definitely love the friendly vibe a cruiser puts out, even in a bike friendly town like Portland the busiest streets are littered with jerks that would love to run you down, so anything to offset that is a plus in my book.

We love looking at bike pics, but we also like looking at city pics and bike culture pics too, especially foreign cities. Portland's commitment to bikes is probably strong enough relative to any of the cities we live in to be considered "foreign". Feel free to post any if you have a chance!
Will do, I've been meaning to take my camera out on some rides lately, especially since this summer I've dropped out of a few sports leagues I have played in in the past and have a little more spare time on my hands.

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome.

LadiesChoice said:
TheDuke said:
Welcome from the SUNNY part of the state! :lol: :lol: :wink:
Ha. I could go for some rain around here lately.

I was in K-Falls a month or two ago.
I lived in Portland for 15 yrs! Moved back here about 2 yrs ago and hated it up there when I came to visit! Miss the year round golf though-albeit soggy! :wink:
L8 EM

I was only there a day, the drive was fantastic, but I wound up crashing in my room as soon as I was done with work for the day, so I can't really say anything good or bad about K-Falls. The main drag seemed pretty cool though, when I passed through. Didn't know where a good place to grab a beer was, next time I guess.

GodHatesCleveland said:
Welcome to the site!

Yeah, Theres something about rolling on an old 39 CCM that just rules, I have to agree, and the looks when you bomb a hill.

The Electra RatRod is the bike that got me hooked but I just couldn't afford her so I settled for a 50 dollar CCM that ended up being older than me by a good 60 years.

Welcome!

Back