Hello from the SF/Bay Area

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My name is Rick, grew up riding a Schwinn in the 60s and 50 yrs later.... I still ride a Schwinn!
I have this thing for Schwinn balloon tire bikes, currently have a little fleet of 7 Beach Cruisers, recently found a complete '48 DX that had been under a house in San Francisco for 30+ years and while looking for parts for the DX, came across a '50 Schwinn straight bar that I couldn't pass up!

The '50 straight bar has become my current project and I am going to make an attempt to restore the bike to an original look, with a couple of modifications to make it a good rider. I recently procured a super clean set of original fenders, forks and chain guard from ebay and the cool thing that I found was a 10 tooth 'skip tooth' rear sprocket that will fit on a newer coaster brake hub. So, I ordered one and put this sprocket on a brand new Shimano coaster brake wheel and it works pretty good. I think that once I hit the inside of each tooth with a grinder to taper the teeth, it will be perfect!

As far as the DX, I have been looking at some pictures of the bikes that the people on this forum have put together and I am truly impressed! I want a Rat Rod bike!! lol

Anyways, I do have a plan and recently picked up a Bendix red band 2-speed hub and will lace it into a wheel that has yet to be determined...
Quick Brick or Thick Brick tire(s)? Chrome wheels or powder coated? So many decisions!!!
Whatever the decisions..... It will be mine!! And I want to ride a .......' looking bike!

Thanks in advance for any help that I may ask for!!

Rick

Latest posts

Back