Hello from twojs.bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. I started repairing and overhauling bikes during the pandemic and am totally hooked. I have probably overhauled about 30 bikes in the past few years. Several of which were Chicago built Scwinns. Learned everything from YouTube. Currently working on 2 1962 Schwinn Heavy Dutis that had been neglected for decades. Too much fun.

altho I got back into bikes a year or two before the Pandemic, it was a big push towards bikes for me too. Something you could still do besides sit at home

Welcome aboard!
Those old Schwinns had good quality paint and chrome.
I learned how to lace a wheel because of the lockdowns. I should have learned years ago.

The Silver Lining of the spamdemic, more time for bikes.

The Heavy Duti also makes for nice BMX conversions.

20220130_124856.jpg

Wow! I like that and had something similar in mind. Thanks for posting. I wasn’t sure if I could mount a brake to what I thought was a rear fender mount.

I want a freewheel, but under all the rust and dirt I found a red band bendix coaster brake in great shape. Part of me feels like I should reuse that hub.

Also, I have been hesitant to paint over the “schwinn” lettering on the top tube. It’s pretty rusty but just feels wrong to paint over it.

Here is a varsity I converted a bit ago.

D597493D-A9A1-4E00-A0E5-60F260A1B8C5.jpeg

The OE paint on my 1968 Heavy Duti was just about gone and the fork took more than one side hit in its day, so it was a perfect candidate for paint and modification. If you do decide on a freewheel, the rear caliper needs to be ridiculously long and the only new manufacture one I found was house-branded Porkchop BMX.

This 1961 Speedster had a pretzled fork as well, but the paint was salvageable to me so it became something else after restoring the finish and salvageable chrome.

20211223_120549.jpg

20220401_163755.jpg

The Speedster has a cheap and heavy wheelset right now, but is getting a lightweight Belgian rim/Germo hub wheelset very soon.

Latest posts

Back