Help: 1958 Schwinn American Klunker Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I took a wheel to a bike shop, they tried to sell me a new wheel. Even when it wasn't a bad warp, they said it was too far gone and I should get a new wheel for about 50 bucks.

You could get a truing stand and learn how. It just takes a little patience.

Here in the Philippines I get all my wheels trued at the bike shop after I lace them up. But it's just a couple dollars and it supports the local bike shop.
View attachment 241909

I have a few bikes shops in close proximity to me. I’ll get some quotes and see. If not it might be a good skill to learn.

Can anyone recommend a solid set of three piece cranks? Doesn’t have to be the best brand. Just something that works well but won’t break the bank. Don’t want a cheap-o pair either. Thanks all.

Can anyone recommend a solid set of three piece cranks? Doesn’t have to be the best brand. Just something that works well but won’t break the bank. Don’t want a cheap-o pair either. Thanks all.
I used mission transit crank on my klunker, Dan’s comp has them on sale right now for $39.99, you’ll also need an “American” size bottom bracket for a 19mm spindle, figure another 35 bucks…3 piece cranks will also require you to switch to 9/16" pedals
IMG_2410.jpeg

I used mission transit crank on my klunker, Dan’s comp has them on sale right now for $39.99, you’ll also need an “American” size bottom bracket for a 19mm spindle, figure another 35 bucks…3 piece cranks will also require you to switch to 9/16" pedalsView attachment 241994
I love how the front end is mountain bike. I already have another frame I’m going to use mountain bike forks, stem and handlebars. Any advice?

So I bought 1/2 inch pedals thinking they would fit my original cranks but they won’t go in. They seem to wide at the threads. Totally confused??? Any help here would be appreciated.

No offense intended, but are you sure you're turning them the correct way? Remember, the left-hand side is left-hand thread. Turning it clockwise would make that pedal appear ill-fitting. Just eliminating the obvious first.

If they still don't fit, then those pedals are probably 9/16" (despite anything you were told).

No offense intended, but are you sure you're turning them the correct way? Remember, the left-hand side is left-hand thread. Turning it clockwise would make that pedal appear ill-fitting. Just eliminating the obvious first.

If they still don't fit, then those pedals are probably 9/16" (despite anything you were told).
They were 9/16ths. I was sure they were 1/2inch when I ordered them. If I had a dime every time I was sure. Back they go. Time to order something different. Which is fun I guess lol.

So the stem on my other bike is 6 inches( 154.4 mm). The stem I’m looking at to replace it is 180mm. Just over an inch longer. Do stems come down right to the end of the fork tube or is there clearance in case I want to use a different stem?

Back