Help ! Can anyone tell me what this bike is ? Ideas ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemartin

eureka!
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this bike last week and can find no identifying marks on it . No head badge and the serial number is all numbers :
1299574 with a small A above and to the left . Skip tooth with sweetheart chain ring . Looks like newer troxel seat an missing front struts . New Departure class D hubs. Any ideas ? I am an newbie so I am hoping someone can help me out .
DSCN1374.JPG
DSCN1372.JPG
DSCN1373.JPG
DSCN1376.JPG
DSCN1383.JPG

Thanks , I tore the bike down this week and found no identifying clues other than the crank is stamped SMB with an A on the reverse side . Several posts indicate that SMB is a Shelby bike company stamp . That seems to jive with the internet search I have been on .

western flyer shelby -1.jpg
shelby cadilac-3.jpg
Thanks Gary , I tore the bike down this weekend and found no clues except that the crank arm is stamped SMB with a A on the reverse . Several post on this forum say that SMB stands for Shelby Moto Bikes or Shelby Manufacturing for sure . Found some good pictures on the internet and this forum that lead me to believe this is Shelby made frame .
The blue bike is a late 1930s western flyer made with same sweetheart style chainring and frame made by Shelby
western flyer shelby -1.jpg
the red bike is a
late 30s Cadilac badged Shelby, also same sweetheart style chairing and frame . I Think I have a late 30s Shelby . Any more info out there ? I stripped the frame and took it to my auto body paint guy and willl post pics next week when I get it back .

Also here is 1940 Shelby catalog drawing ..perfect match except for the tank .

Latest posts

Back