Help. Felt hub.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get the rear hub replaced on my Deep 6. Looking for a quality piece that will accommodate the 12ga spokes and will fit that wide frame. Single speed or three speed. Model numbers, part numbers and any kind of tricks I should know about would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance. AL.

Re: Help. Felt hub.

I sent him a PM. Hope it sent. This new crapatalk format is hard to get used to. I would like to use the shimano CB-E110. Just a simple heavy duty hub. Will this hub work on my bike? What tricks will it take to make it work? I don't mind putting a 2 or 3 speed hub on it but I'm having problems finding one that specifies if it will support 12ga spokes. I'm sure one of you guys has done this before. I'm willing to even buy a complete wheel for just parts.

I bought a set of 12g wheels from him that have a Shimano single speed coaster brake rear hub. Not sure of the model.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

NicksGarage said:
I bought a set of 12g wheels from him that have a Shimano single speed coaster brake rear hub. Not sure of the model.

What bike did you put them on? I'm new to this bike building thing so please excuse me with all the questions. Really just kinda frustrated with this high dollar bike that's not even rideable.

Ldog33 said:
Can you buy a replacement from felt?
heck I'm sure it's still under warranty but I really have no faith in the stock single speed hub. After doing some digging, I've found quite a few other people with this same issue. So I'm really trying to upgrade or just get away from the stock hub. So the issues are finding a hub wide enough and still compatible with 12ga spokes. I really hate to order the three speed wheel from Felt when I only want the hub. But that I looking like my easiest way out if I can't find a single speed hub part number that will fit.

Alsfelt said:
NicksGarage said:

What bike did you put them on? I'm new to this bike building thing so please excuse me with all the questions. Really just kinda frustrated with this high dollar bike that's not even rideable.

I haven't put them on anything yet. You can get a nexus 3 speed hub kit for a reasonable price but then you'll probably have to get shorter spokes. When I get home from work I'll take some measurements of the single speed and a nexus 3 I have. You shouldn't have any width problems with stock felt wheels and tires. Your's had 24 inch rims with thick bricks right?

NicksGarage said:
Alsfelt said:
NicksGarage said:

I haven't put them on anything yet. You can get a nexus 3 speed hub kit for a reasonable price but then you'll probably have to get shorter spokes. When I get home from work I'll take some measurements of the single speed and a nexus 3 I have. You shouldn't have any width problems with stock felt wheels and tires. Your's had 24 inch rims with thick bricks right?

Yes that's what I got. Thanks.

Here are the hub diameter measurements, center-to-center on the spoke holes.

Shimano CB-E110 - 47.95mm
Shimano Nexus 3 - 58.75mm

Width outside of locknut to locknut

CB-110 - 109mm
Nexus 3 - 127.5mm

shimano_cb_e110_01.jpg

shimano_cb_e110_02.jpg

So I made an executive decision. I'm gonna get the SRAM automatic 2 speed laced up in it. Hopefully ill get it back in a week or so. Just don't trust myself to lace a new hub. I'm really hoping that I can keep the 12ga spokes with that hub. I've read that the holes should accommodate the big spokes. Fingers crossed.

According to EDD, SRAM Automatix has 3mm spoke holes, so 12g should be no problem at all. I'd worry about whether or not the Felt is spaced for 120mm wide rear hubs; aluminum doesn't spread like steel does.

Bicycle808 said:
According to EDD, SRAM Automatix has 3mm spoke holes, so 12g should be no problem at all. I'd worry about whether or not the Felt is spaced for 120mm wide rear hubs; aluminum doesn't spread like steel does.
Yes it's actually wider. The SRAM comes with spacers to get it to 130mm which is about what the original hub is. Thanks for the answer on the spoke holes.

I had the same problem, but my local dealer stood beside me and got the fix, a new coaster brake driver with the rear sprocket welded to it.

lawrenz said:
I had the same problem, but my local dealer stood beside me and got the fix, a new coaster brake driver with the rear sprocket welded to it.
Glad to hear it wasn't just mine. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I just got a set of single speed Felt wheels and the rear hub is a HISTOP brand which isn't a high quality part. I wonder why Felt would use a cheap component like that on a quality bike? Maybe there just aren't that many options for single speed coasters.

From what I've read, I'm guessing the new tank frame design must be a good bit wider in the rear for the 2012-present bikes. They all went to the deep6 style frame and all the single speeds have that same cheap hub. Before 2012, the single speed Felts were shimano hubs. My wheels came with big spacers between the hub and nuts on both sides to make up the difference. Maybe shimano wouldn't cover the hubs with those spacers but I'm just speculating. The rest of the bike seems built very well but for a $700+ bike, you would figure there wouldn't be any problems with her for years. heck a Walmart special is pretty much bulletproof for years. Pretty disappointed but I have to say the bike looks fantastic and rides just as good. New handlebars are next on the agenda and I should be enjoying it after that.

FWIW, Walmart specials tend to have KT HiStop hubs, too.

And, ime, those are some pretty grim hubs.

As to why Felt would spec their "quality" bikes with garbage hubs, I'm thinking it just saves them a few buck$ per bike. Really, when you take a hub that retails for $18 (shimano cb-110e) and replace it with one that retails for $10 (KT Hi-Stop), you're only saving a few bucks at the wholesale level. A widely repeated internet legend is that KT makes the internals for the current Shimano coasters, too, but I cannot confirm nor deny this. Seems likely, and KT does make "better" coaster hubs than the Hi-Stop.

I've been perfectly happyy with my Shimano C/B hubs, although the drag is terrible The drag on my Velosteel is scarcely noticeable, but the braking performance is so/so and the hub needs fairly frequent maintenance. Unlike the Hi-Stop, the Velosteel responds well to a repack and a tuning. Every hi-stop I've ever cracked open has never gone back together correctly; there's no sweet spot between "sloppy" and "tight" when you adjust the bearings.

Good luck with the SRAM hub. By all accounts, they're good stuff... I'd be all over it if it was spaced at 110mm OR was avaliable in a manual kick-back, rather than with the magnetic clutch thing with the auto....

After checking this site out for a couple weeks, I'm definitely gonna have to build me a back up rat bike. Even if this one is great after the new hub. All the tips are appreciated people.

Latest posts

Back