Help getting modern saddle on prewar Elgin w/Bent Seat Post

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a modern saddle on my prewar Elgin bike project but with the 7 style bent seatpost it seems like a hassle (is there a trick?) so, I got it just about off the bike and am wondering if it's a standard size seatpost that I can just replace ? or should i just get a rod at home depot?

i've got a troxel saddle (came with bike, may be orig?) that i considered refinishing but i can't get the stupid nuts off! grrrr So , i got a nice cushy schwinn saddle and it matches the concept nicely :D

EDIT: ok, i swapped the middle part (the piece that actually goes on the post) with the middle part from my trek and now I can put the seat on the bent post, I can get it to where I need it BUT I can't get it tightened up because the old post is thinner than the bracket is meant for. I used some cardboard shims but it doesn't seem like it''s going to work out. Any help is appreciated.

Re: replace 7 style seatpost w/ straight one?

you may be able to just swap the seat post clamp from the old seat to the new one to make it fit. Not much has changed with seat rails for more than a century...

post up some photos when you can.

Re: replace 7 style seatpost w/ straight one?

thanks, just to save time i found pix online.

the seat i want to put on has a set up like this: http://www.toys-sale.net/store/image/85 ... at-medium/

the seat i am replacing is like this: http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk13 ... led094.jpg
(here is another link in case that one doesn't work, it shows more angles on that seat too http://www.spreadmyad.com/detroit/vehic ... -taylor-20 )

so the bracket on the new bike can't slip over the bent rod and it has a bent lip that prevents it from sliding down (which in this case might help) Also, the old seat has the metal flat pieces with square holes instead of the skinny rods like the new one.

What do you think? does that make any sense and do you have any ideas? I took apart the new bracket and tried all different ways to secure it but no luck.

Thanks again!

so if you take both of the brackets apart, in the middle they both have one piece thats the same, its the horse shoe lookin one that goes right on the post, you should be able to take the skinny horseshoe from the old seat and swap it out with the fat one from the new seat,

SE308F04BLK__9.jpg

well that would be simple enough LOL except that the old seat didn't have a horseshoe! I guess that's a piece i can buy or look for, thanks for that info. The seat i have has ridgy circles with a lip and a bunch of washers, i guess it was just rigged up but worked.

So, anyone have that piece I need? Think a bike shop would have it?

thanks guys. I went to a bike shop that used to be a Schwinn store. They were like "what's that?" when he saw my seatpost lol and was kind of reluctant like "THey don't make anything that will fit that, I don't have anything just laying around" Grumble Grumble. We talked a bit and he went and found a Schwinn part that just needed to be drilled out to fit. He fixed it up nice for me for just a few bucks. :)

Latest posts

Back