Help ID This Ross Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See photos below. I think this is from the early 70s but I’m not sure. The frame has twin top tubes. My understanding is that serial numbers don't help with these bikes but here it is (from the rear dropout) anyhow - R72017831. I think that the seat tube decal said “FLYER” in the second line since the “LYER” is still visible and I think the first line started with a “P” “R” or “B” Also note the checkerboard pattern above and below those text lines in the seat tube decal.
The orange trim piece in the crankset appears to be rather unique as I haven’t seen any other bikes with that.
Rear Coaster Hub - Bendix 70 with herringbone pattern rings in the center and “K” and “I” stamped on the back of the brake arm
Front Hub – Ross
Original Rims (removed due to damage) – Schurmann 26 x 1 3/8 x 1 5/8 CHROM made in Germany
Saddle – Mesinger made in USA with Ralleye strip on top (like many muscle cars of the late 60s/early 70s
Any help pinning down the year and model would be greatly appreciated and, if someone can provide a photo of what the complete original seattube decal looked like, that would be amazing.

I've always thought that if I substituted a banana seat and different bars, it would look remarkable like a Schwinn Manta Ray, only in 26."
Thanks
JD
Side View.jpg
Headbadge.jpg
Crank.jpg
Seatpost 2.jpg
Seatpost 1.jpg
Seat.jpg
Rear Dropout.jpg

JD

I have an endurance flyer with the same seat tube decal, I'll get the link with a pic for you.

If you decide to part it out, I would love to have that seat!

Falstaff - thanks for trying.

Georgeiii - Yes, that seat is in excellent condition but no plans to part out the bike. I assume the seat is original but can't be certain of that since I haven't been able to find any similar bikes or literature on the internet. I had installed standard 26" wheels with a 2-speed kickback hub, wide mountain bike tires, different bars, modern seat, converted to a modern crankset and was riding it. I've often thought about doing a mild rat rod conversion, but for now I just took everything back to original, except the wheelset, and plan to enjoy it like that for a while.

Thanks, Rustinkerer. Do you know of any resources that might help me track down what the model name is?

Latest posts

Back