HELP indentify Hawthorne childrens bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I recently bought this Hawthorne children's bike and I cant seem to find any info on what year it is or what model it is could be. It has 35 stamped on the rear fender mount but no other identify marks. If anyone please give me some info would be greatly appreciated.

Well if you've never ridden on hard rubber tires., its an awfully uncomfortable experience., they ARE original., but if you plan to keep this as a rider., Id switch them out for those periods.

Its whats called a Convertible., Made as you can see by Hawthorne.. as it seems many were., though a couple other companies made them as well.
Its not a really costly bike., but its a neat bike. Its top bar switches downward to make it a ladies bike. Im fond of them for show., maybe a little customizing but I gather theres a handful of people who particularly like these styles.

Im sure You'll be quoted by a few others in regards to your bicycle., and I hope you find everything you're looking for here.
I believe it to be mid 60's btw.

Jordan

Well if you've never ridden on hard rubber tires., its an awfully uncomfortable experience., they ARE original., but if you plan to keep this as a rider., Id switch them out for those periods.

Its whats called a Convertible., Made as you can see by Hawthorne.. as it seems many were., though a couple other companies made them as well.
Its not a really costly bike., but its a neat bike. Its top bar switches downward to make it a ladies bike. Im fond of them for show., maybe a little customizing but I gather theres a handful of people who particularly like these styles.

Im sure You'll be quoted by a few others in regards to your bicycle., and I hope you find everything you're looking for here.
I believe it to be mid 60's btw.

Jordan
I saw a purple one like this for sale awhile back never knew what it was I agree with it being a cool looking bike but I also agree with changing the tires to air filled those hard tires are very uncomfortable I remember as a kid hating those tires it's like riding on a rock and every little bump will be felt.
cool bike nonetheless
sean

I agree it's a 60's bike. The rims will only take those hard rubber tires. The bike I learned to ride on had those solid tires. My older brother cut the tires off to put real ones on and it didn't work, no bead. It worked for me, I got to ride his bike with pneumatic tires.

It looks like a 20" bike so it should be easy to find a kid's bike at a thrift store and use the wheels off it. If you have a kid that going to ride the bike. For resale, I would leave it in it's original state, even has the tassles on the handlebars.

I agree it's a 60's bike. The rims will only take those hard rubber tires. The bike I learned to ride on had those solid tires. My older brother cut the tires off to put real ones on and it didn't work, no bead. It worked for me, I got to ride his bike with pneumatic tires.

It looks like a 20" bike so it should be easy to find a kid's bike at a thrift store and use the wheels off it. If you have a kid that going to ride the bike. For resale, I would leave it in it's original state, even has the tassles on the handlebars.

And remember that your rear Donor is best rigged with a Coaster brake like the original, though equipping hand brakes is completely an option as well.

Ha Ha, BITD my first 2 wheeler was a hard rubber tired convertible bike similar to this one. We lived in W. Mass. at the time and I thought I was a cool 7 yo then we moved to Michigan, and first time I rode that bike to school I almost died from shame. All the kids had Big 26" balooners and middleweights - I was a joke! Hated that bike then, and it seemed like forever till I got a "real" middleweight Hiawatha.

Latest posts

Back