Help! Looking for vintage trike experts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linmcrae

Lin Fairclough
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say welcome to my nightmare. A bit of a backstory. My nephew liked riding this old adult trike but a few days ago trashed one rear wheel. I'd like to fix it but have no idea how to remove the wheel and eventually replace the rim. What should I do?

Attachments

• 16807220877161606556593356954087.jpg
    16807220877161606556593356954087.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Hub has little "tabs" that lock onto the axle. Remove the nut that holds the axle in the tube, located on the inside by the gear cluster. Pull the whole thing out and then maybe the axle will pull out of the hub. It's an odd way to do it and not very strong but keeps the wheels on the axles. On the Geared side (like yours) you'll need to remove that cog. Then slide the axle assembly out of the tube from the wheel side. I've seen various ways to attach the cog, looks like yours has a set screw.

You could relace a new rim right there on the bike. a hassle but maybe the easiest way...

Last edited:
And this one

Attachments

• 16807233759291200444896159222149.jpg
    16807233759291200444896159222149.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I will replace the rim on the trike. It does seem the easiest option leaving the hub in place. Lin

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I will replace the rim on the trike. It does seem the easiest option leaving the hub in place. Lin
Let us know how it goes. Truing in place isn't bad if you start out tightening everything the same. Like; 3 turns next, 3 turns next, 3 turns next, all the way around and keep it all relatively tensioning together. By the time it's all tight that little bit of extra care should make spot tuning the true easy enough.

I'm nervous but looking forward to it. I used to help my Dad in his bicycle repair shop as a teenager, so hopefully muscle memory will kick in. And I will post my finally non nightmare wheel!

I'm so annoyed. I need a certain size spokes to finish off the rim but I discovered how difficult it is to buy from your average bike shop. I'm continually hearing "we don't sell small amounts and we can do it for you Ma'am we only charge an arm and a leg". I've done as many wheels probably as they have and I'm old enough to have probably babysat them! Am I the only woman who likes rebuilding stuff???? I will complete the wheel and post a pic, I just have to wait until my spoke order arrives. But to be so close to finishing 😭

Am I the only woman who likes rebuilding stuff??
You are not the only one here, but you certainly are in rare company. We should be striving to bring more females to the hobby, the treatment you received is definitely not the right way. I look forward to seeing your project. Hopefully I can learn something from you

I'm already learning so much from all of you. I know I get excited seeing all the wonderful ideas and learning how some interesting things are achieved. My only real bike skill is building wheels. Something I learnt from my Dad while I was in college. Forgot how frustrating/relaxing it is. Go to bed counting 1 2 3 4 or if I'm really tired 1 2 3 😆

I wanted to look thru answers before chiming in. So first theres a pin inside the hub there put that out and soak the hub then the hub should slide off if it dont then will require more effort since shes rusted onto the axle. Requires then heat kroil oil and patience. If hub doesnt come out then shes welded herself onto the axle which can be removed via few set screws on the coller. Best of luck. These looking at pics is a desoto/trailmate with either 15mm later or earlier 5/8 dia axle. Hope all has helped.

You don't need new spokes. Use the existing spokes in place.

Count the spokes so you get a replacement rim with the same spoke hole count. Looks like 36 in the photos.

Most trikes have 24" rims. There are 7 different diameters of 24" rims. Check the tire sidewall for the right size. Most rims don't have the size on them. Tires with a decimal point width are all interchangeable, tires with fractions all have their own special rim size. 24 x 1.nn 24 x 2.nn is the standard mtb size.24 x 1 & 3/4 is the Schwinn size. There are some fractional skinnier sizes. 24 x 1 & 3/8 (S and EA), 24 x 1 & 1/2, 24 x 1 & 1/4, etc. They vary quite a bit in diameter so if you use a different size from oem, you will need new spokes and a new tire. Generally the skinnier the tire, the larger the rim. The overall diameter of the tire on the wheel is pretty close for all of them.

We all know 1 & 3/4" = 1.75 mathmathically but that is not the case for bike tires.

1: put a drop of penetrating oil on each nipple so it goes in the threads. let that soak a while.
2: use masking tape at the last spoke intersection to hold the spokes in relative position.
3: spoke wrench to undo all the nipples. Use a real spoke wrench in the right size so you don't round off the nipples. No crescent wrenches or sheet metal spoke wrenches.

I use a magnetic dish to put the the nipples in. Steel nipples will stay put. Brass won't. Steel nipples rust solid, Brass doesn't. Older bikes mostly have nickel plated brass. Chinese BSOs have steel.

Steel vs aluminum rim. Each model/brand/metal of rim will need a different length spoke. Get a similar profile of steel rim and the current spoke length will be fine. There is several mm of wiggle room on spoke length. Longer nipples get you more threads if the spokes are too short.

If the spokes are a little too long for a particular rim you can grind off a couple mm when the wheel is done so the spokes don't poke holes in the inner tube. If the nipples bottom on the spoke threads before the spokes are under any tension, you will probably break the spokes trying to force them on further.

BTW, one of the spokes is in backwards. The spoke heads should alternate up/down.

Sorry I've been MIA, hurt my back a bit so I was hobbling around like a crab for a bit... joys of growing old. I finally got back to the nightmare trike.
I had problems with the spokes and I was wondering what the heck. I had the right length spokes and had them in the right pattern (thanks to you all) but they weren't looking correct when I was balancing the rim and some of the spokes were protruding too much. So after thinking (and doing a lot of swearing) I undid all my work and took the wheel off to examine what was going on with the axle and found this.
I'm going to have to go and get a professional to fix it. Hopefully he can fix it and complete the work as he has all the parts it needs or replace it.
Hate to admit defeat but this requires more knowledge than I have. Once its fixed I have no problems finishing the trike but whoa betide my nephew if he treats it like a bmx again 😜 because the bent axile throws length of spokes out. Least I got it right if the axile had been true but.... 😭 I just don't have the tools to true it.
However on the good side I've the rest of the trike 100% and the other rear axile is 100% true. Just for my own info how does the axile come off the rod?

Attachments

• 20230821_185956_HDR.jpg
    20230821_185956_HDR.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back