Help me fix my fake hiwheeler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So I have a cheap columbia "replica" of a junior hiwheeler. It basically has a unicycle hub that can freewheels backwards. However while riding it today, it suddenly decided that it will now freewheel in both directions. I took it all apart, and it appears this is how it works: There is a cage of bearings on each end inside the hub. There is also a ring that is made of extremely thin steel bands. These bands apparently used to stick up at an angle and grab the bearing cage, which is pressed into the hub. These bands would give when pedaling backwards, allowing it to freewheel. Due either to time or cheap manufacture, or poor design, this system has given up. I like the option of not pedaling constantly, especially while going downhill. However if no solution can be found, I will install the shaft and weld it to the outer hub flanges, making it at least ridable, although not as nice. Anybody had experience with these or know a fix? Thanks

Latest posts

Back