Help me identify my Schwinn.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I bought this old Schwinn bike the other day for $30, I really wanted the cantilever frame for a build for my son. I.D. on left rear is OH051290 if I am reading the Schwinn numbers correct, this bike was built Aug. 1960.....correct? I know it is a hodge-podge of parts, the chain guard is Columbia Tourist III, the front wheel is much newer, I think that the forks are bent (figured that out after I purchased it ). I was thinking maybe a speedster but, it wouldn't have chrome fenders, right? Do the fenders look correct for the bike, or are they another add on? And is that even a Schwinn sprocket, it doesn't look like any that I have. I am still learning, and at 53 it is a slow curve!

01812.JPG

01910.JPG

02010.JPG

I.D. left side rear OH051290

Haha! That's my luck............just realized I posted this in the wrong area too. Sorry! Anyone else have any idea what it is???

Hook up a real sweet shot of the dropouts, and it'll be pretty easy. As it stands now, a lot of makers did Cantilever frames BITD (and now), but some ppl could probably tell from your pics who the builder was. Take this thread to "bike id and valuation", and RRB member jpromo will have identified almost immediately.

My guess? Huffy Good Vibrations. I've seen that sprocket on some Huffy bikes, and the ood Vibrations has the same basic lines and seatclamp treatment. Also, they have a pretty longish top tube, which you'll likely appreciate if you're anywhere near 6' tall.

Cool bike, regardless.

Thanks all! It looks like I have been duped! The chain wheel appears to be 70's Huffy. It was in an old clapped out building with poor lighting, but inexperience is my fault! Still probably worth the $30 that I paid.......but really frustrating!

Just being inept enough to be duped is what is frustrating. :crazy:

Don't sweat it. Ppl put Schwinn badges on other bikes all the time.... and for each Huffy with a Schwinn badge, there's probably at least 1 duping-victim. Even worse is when ppl try (and, incredibly, sometimes they succeed) to sell a Huffy or a Murray or whatever as a "Shwin" (sic) with the original non-Schwinn badges still intact. Chalk it up to experience, and enjoy the bike... or sell it for a quick $30 back.

When you look at a frame, look how the top tubes meet the head tube. On a Schwinn, they blend smoothly, always. Most others don't. A few exceptions though. Gary

Maybe it will be my first build-off bike......the wheels are already turning!:cool2:

That serial number may indicate Huffy 1980 or 1970. The wheels look lightweight, 26 x 1 3/8. Normally that frame would have 1.75 tires, but your fenders look narrow, made for 1 3/8's wheels. It's possible it came that way. What size are the tires? Also noticed a slight backward bend to the forks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I may try to get a pic of the rear dropout. Honestly though, I figure if it is a huffy, I don't have any concerns about it being collectable. Time to start modifications!!

Latest posts

Back